Alastair

Bad start to the season anyone?

All bees working to full capacity here

I'd like to know how you ascertain this if you don't mind sharing your expertise ??

I'd like to know how you ascertain this if you don't mind sharing your expertise ??

Bees flowing in and out all hives as if in a mad rush to achieve something, flying about like bullets. Inspection in to the hives reveals nectar pouring in

• Like 2

pohuts in full glory now and hopefully the weather will stay fine but what a terrible start ,had failed nucs, hives not coming up to full speed because of the weather. and poor bloom ie rewarewa .arggggh

It's a crazy mixed up season this year.:(

Still it could be much much worse!!!!(y)(y)(y) Just imagine if humans controlled the weather. :cautious:Profit taking:mad:TAXATION:mad::mad::mad:

Then there's terrorism:mask::mask::mask:

We will ride with you mate, just keep your veil on, ok? Btw not taking the mickey really. What an utterly brilliant reaction.

Had a lovely drive in the country to a new site for this year, maybe there's a silver lining from all those clouds. Farmers are smiling, bees are working

Yes cranking here too. Some hives got 2 supers just about full in 2 weeks, plus jamming nectar in the brood nest so the queen's getting blocked.

Making up for lost time!

• Like 4

around here i never put out boxes after xmas. nobody does.

this year i put out foundation on new years and a lot of them are full now.

this is the latest season by far. so be prepared further south.

i scooped some "beard" up to make splits with it.

mated queen + foundations(that's all i got)

a bit of an experience. anyone ever done this?

• Like 2

Have not noticed any down turn in honey flow for the last 6 or 7 weeks and in fact am off to Cerracel today to pick up more frames and boxes. At present we have 12 active hives and one that had rejected a caged queen a while back and has just recently produced there own has fulled the 2 brood boxes full of dark honey from the nearby Manuka. All the other hives have 1 or 2 full capped boxes on each one and are begining to show signs of needing more space.Finding the biggest challenge at the moment is finding time to stay on top of swarm cells and trying to distinguish if they are going to swarm or are not happy with there queen.

• Like 1

Agree with Frazz re kanuka flowering, heaps of it, but not much arriving in hives. This morning, the Mahoe is out big time, entire hives seem to be on it.

entire hives seem to be on it.

Swarm?:whistle:

Swarm?:whistle:

A half hectare swarm ! Yeeehaaa !

• Like 1

Agree with Frazz re kanuka flowering, heaps of it, but not much arriving in hives. This morning, the Mahoe is out big time, entire hives seem to be on it.

it will be interesting to see if you notice bees on the Kanuka once it starts to go off... we dont live close to good areas of Kanuka so have never had the opportunity to watch out for bees working it.

Spot the bee ! IMG_0005.JPG.88029afda53f6a4066d581e19c6cfe50.JPG

• Like 1

That's right, 3pm in full sun, not a bee to be seen . Not one in half an hour with a beer & 10 x 50s. They're all on the mahoe....

Does anyone know what the native pollinator of Manuka and Kanuka was before honeybees came here?

Does anyone know what the native pollinator of Manuka and Kanuka was before honeybees came here?

There's a big list of solitary bee/flies/moths that did/do the job. There are always clouds of various flying black things around & on our kanuka flowers.

That's right, 3pm in full sun, not a bee to be seen . Not one in half an hour with a beer & 10 x 50s. They're all on the mahoe....

if things change and you start to see bees working the Kanuka it would be great if you could post here so we can finally order some drums!

Here's where they are : Cropped.jpg.7f5b877b1aff078c3198bfba819cbed2.jpg

if things change and you start to see bees working the Kanuka it would be great if you could post here so we can finally order some drums!

Roger wilco ! Had a look in big hive after lunch, about 8 frames 90% full, each about 40% capped. In spite of about a thousand acres of kanuka.

There's a small listing here : http://www.forestandbird.org.nz/files/publication_attachments/Common%20Insect%20Pollinators%20and%20list%20of%20native%20species%20to%20support%20pollinator%20diversity.pdf

Roger wilco ! Had a look in big hive after lunch, about 8 frames 90% full, each about 40% capped. In spite of about a thousand acres of kanuka.

thats about what we are seeing some are even worse than that :( makes me very nervous

thats about what we are seeing some are even worse than that :( makes me very nervous

Checked 10 urban hives this afternoon across 4 locations.

2 with noda thing (swarmed hives that are not yet queen right)

1 with one box near fully drawn with uncapped honey

1 with 2 boxes near full

1 with 3 boxes near full

3 with 4 boxes near full

2 with 5 boxes near full

Very little capped in any hives, more than half of the frames were new foundation this summer, all honey boxes are 3/4 9 frame.

Yesterday and day before I checked rural hives (16 hives) with similar amounts of honey

• Like 3

Same, lots of full frames nothing capped...heavy rain last night...bees working flat out.

• Like 1