Alastair

Bad start to the season anyone?

Clover is out and sub clover been out for a while but too cold to produce nectar:(

Knowing Nelson and their endless weeks of sunshine, I'm sure it will soon make up for it. :)

Went to my sites in 'urban' Waitakere today with the boot full of supers.

Hives have just about enough stores to hold their own. I don't get it with all that is in flower!

Am I missing something? Last season I couldn't get supers on fast enough...this season nada!

I think this season is all about keeping bees alive...The silver lining will be next spring...

Went to my sites in 'urban' Waitakere today with the boot full of supers.

Hives have just about enough stores to hold their own. I don't get it with all that is in flower!

Am I missing something? Last season I couldn't get supers on fast enough...this season nada!

Same here Pbee. Cant work out why..

I think this season is all about keeping bees alive...The silver lining will be next spring...

Singing "All ways look on the bright side of life":whistle: :D

• Like 1

has the weather been that bad? why are everyones hive so bare? mine have half filled there supers but went bare about 2 weeks ago and the queens slowed down there laying. i wonder if they will make up for lost time in dec

Hmm good day today, went to a couple of sites and they are filling up with nectar fast, had to put supers out, fourth on some of them, maybe all is not yet lost. Last few days have been a bit better, 23 here today.

• Like 1

Still too cold at night here. Pretty damn warm during the day. Nectar coming in.

The apiary I visited today was a very welcome change from the last few weeks, enough new nectar to warrant putting on another honey box. :)

Not exactly a flood but a nice positive change.

Getting a little bit better in Hamilton. At least the ones in town wont starve now as there is some nectar stored in the supers. The ones in the farms looks like I will need to feed them if the weather does not improve considerably. Very unusual to see even Carniolans starting to run out of stores. Plenty of pollen in every hive though.

And today is yet another cloudy, clagged in damp day :( bees won't be bringing in any nectar today.

• Like 1

it's not over till the fat lady sings

• Like 3

it's not over till the fat lady sings

That's the spirit :D we are not dead yet so everything must be ok..(y)

• Like 2

We're meant to get rain here today but can't see it happening. Weather hot and humid, lots of work from the bees.

I do believe that summer may have (very weakly) started. Collected my second swarm in two days.

• Like 1

24 celcius today. May be the start of something goooooooood

• Like 1

To feed or not to feed...rained here last night and grey clouds looming now..might have to do a feed budget :(

Still too cold at night here. Pretty damn warm during the day. Nectar coming in.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Cold at night? I must be in a different town....:rofl:

Just warming up now @Vincent Channon, pretty warm wind this morning:cool:

Just had to add boxes to, what were Nucs from @Alan Murray today. They have already got to outer frames. Only had one FD box spare so have 9 frames in the added FD and the other hive has a 3/4 added with 10 frames. Now I see what everyone means about always needing more gear :eek::eek::eek:. Only picked these up just over a week ago.

• Like 3

Same here Pbee. Cant work out why..

Hi all

Im not to far from debi Jacka (Parau area). Had a funny start to the season. Noticed that the bees were not drawing out new frames very well in the brood box for the Queen to lay in.ie some frames only 3/4 drawn out and others patchy.. starting to get better though this week.

In Saying that i have a couple of hives with 3/4 supers on now and some have already filled out the drawn frames with honey , 1 or 2 almost ready to harvest. We have heaps of flower out here. I think the wind and cold temps have knocked them around during the start of the season and they are not quite full force.

• Like 1

Hi all

Im not to far from debi Jacka (Parau area). Had a funny start to the season. Noticed that the bees were not drawing out new frames very well in the brood box for the Queen to lay in.ie some frames only 3/4 drawn out and others patchy.. starting to get better though this week.

In Saying that i have a couple of hives with 3/4 supers on now and some have already filled out the drawn frames with honey , 1 or 2 almost ready to harvest. We have heaps of flower out here. I think the wind and cold temps have knocked them around during the start of the season and they are not quite full force.

Hi Julia..We are up on the ridge, and the wind has really taken its toll on us although the hives are sheltered, they get blasted when they fly up. I was taking off honey comb this time last year. This time they are very slow in drawing out the frames in the supers. And I have noticed that all the gorse along the Scenic Drive it dead, so there must have been a lot of spray around here, just metres from where my girls were. They lived on that gorse last year and wonder if that may have something to do with my slow start.

Same here! Looks like this is the same all over the Waitakeres :(

Heaps of curb spraying going on :sick: