Alastair

Bad start to the season anyone?

My bees are only just keeping up with brood demand. Very little in the way of stores, in spite of everything under the sun in bloom at the moment . I have two manuka bushes - feral white jobs- down the drive. Both are more laden with flowers & buds than I've ever seen before. Here's hoping that's indicative of a better kanuka season this year !

I have two manuka bushes - feral white jobs- down the drive. !

Shhh dont tell anyone, you will have forty hives from the North Island on your doorstep in the morning :(

Shhh dont tell anyone, you will have forty hives from the North Island on your doorstep in the morning :(

Bee hive per flower bud. :P

Shhh dont tell anyone, you will have forty hives from the North Island on your doorstep in the morning

There's not been a bee on them that I have seen, they're too busy trying to tear the Indian Hawthorn next door out of the ground to take home

Just wondering how people are finding things on the honey flow side of things so far. I mean rural not urban.

Not good for me, sites that in the past have been pulling heaps of nectar by now, are on the bones of their butt this time I have some hives near starvation. Hate to spend money on sugar & feeders when the flow may be just around the corner so wondering what others think.

I am seriously urban and not running into any stores issues - all hives are adding supplies of nectar (just) - it is much later than last year though where I was struggling to keep ahead of them with honey supers. I have added supers but more as an "in case" - with the expectations a major flow is about to start. Willow seems subdued and pohutukawa is about to burst everywhere in Auckland. Here's hoping.

• Like 2

I am seriously urban and not running into any stores issues

thats just it, theres a massive difference between urban and rural at the moment.

hives that had a box of honey on 2 weeks ago have nothing now.

the swarm i brought home a while ago is flat out on the bottle brush, the neighbors apples etc.

• Like 2

Is there always a big difference between Urban and rural? Research would suggest so, but this ain't specific to NZ.

Depends on your rural, we have a couple that equal our home hives, yippeeyippee

Depends on your rural, we have a couple that equal our home hives, yippeeyippee

A couple out of how many rural hives?

A couple of apiaries we are semi commercial.

Same here, some sites doing ok with honey coming in while others on the brink of starvation. @BeeBeauty the only swarms I have had are from my own Nucs and a couple from Paeroa. I have only had a few hives that were split for swarm control nothing like last year when everything wanted to swarm.

the urban(village) sites around here are shocking since a few years.

we used to have swarm problems all the time on these sites, now they fighting for survial every spring.

in particular those wintered here are bad. some new beeks that tried to start up here lost all there hive. a big comercial keeps topping up his site every few years now.

i brought some in this spring for pollination cos of the bee shortage. they either dwindle or boom like crazzy. it's the nics if you ask me. but of cos i have no proof.

how about the other way round: can anyone proof it's not the nics?

@tom sayn please explain "nics"?

Neonictonoids I presume?

I do question this, because those people that spray their gardens with the stuff, do they generally spray flowers that bee's like anyway? With fruit trees or veges for example I assume the insecticides are applied outside of the flowering period, unless veges are left to flower and residues are still present.

Some people just don't read labels, just don't think, or just don't care:crap: Poor :bee:

Neonictonoids I presume?

I do question this.....

yes, neonics.

feel free to question this.

i've been keeping bees in this area for 15 years now.

the first 9 they were booming and so they should with all the gardens around and bush on the back door.

the last 6 they have been rubbish.

6 years ago a nursery started up here and they also supply most of the plants around here.

OK well some bees got nothing - nada.

So I've had to bite the bullet & buy a whole heap of sugar started feeding today.

OK well some bees got nothing - nada.

So I've had to bite the bullet & buy a whole heap of sugar started feeding today.

well that is a real downer isnt it:crap:

Yep @Alastair we had a moment like that three weeks ago, got a trickle now

Holding fire from feeding At the moment. Plenty of flowers around but the 6 to 7 degree mornings won't be helping. Keeping a very close eye on things

• Like 1

if they run out of food they loose their momentum and will never be what they could have been.

I am lucky I saved some honey dew to feed mine but the kamahi Quintinia is flowering on the coast so will check tomorrow and see what they are like.

i've been keeping bees in this area for 15 years now.

the first 9 they were booming and so they should with all the gardens around and bush on the back door.

the last 6 they have been rubbish.

6 years ago a nursery started up here and they also supply most of the plants around here.

That is interesting, I don't mean to question your judgement, it just would be good to get down to the bottom of what's going on so others can avoid similar situations. Have you attempted to confront the nursery and ask them what their spray practices are and what sprays they use?

That is interesting, I don't mean to question your judgement, it just would be good to get down to the bottom of what's going on so others can avoid similar situations. Have you attempted to confront the nursery and ask them what their spray practices are and what sprays they use?

probably not a good subject to discuss under this topic. sorry, my mistake.

might open a new topic for it, but actually im sick of the neonic discussion like most beeks.

has all been said before and leads to nowhere.

probably not a good subject to discuss under this topic. sorry, my mistake.

might open a new topic for it, but actually im sick of the neonic discussion like most beeks.

has all been said before and leads to nowhere.

Fair call, given that I'm new my curiosity is strong, hence the continual questions. Surely there must be a way to get pollen tested for insecticide content? I can't see that being cheap, but surely some Chinese lab could offer it at a reasonable cost. Then again, if it tested positive for neonics, what can ya do?