Alastair

Bad start to the season anyone?

Just wondering how people are finding things on the honey flow side of things so far. I mean rural not urban.

Not good for me, sites that in the past have been pulling heaps of nectar by now, are on the bones of their butt this time I have some hives near starvation. Hate to spend money on sugar & feeders when the flow may be just around the corner so wondering what others think.

Just wondering how people are finding things on the honey flow side of things so far. I mean rural not urban.

Not good for me, sites that in the past have been pulling heaps of nectar by now, are on the bones of their butt this time I have some hives near starvation. Hate to spend money on sugar & feeders when the flow may be just around the corner so wondering what others think.

Most of my Nucs are starving!

Thought I had a few more splits for sale, but there is not enough Nectar coming in!

Fingers crossed the 'flow' is coming on soon!

• Like 1

theres been very little flow.

willow been all over the show.

maunka has been out for a while, kanuka is just starting (which typically spells the end of manuka). others are budding up.

clover has been popping up here and there.

we are still feeding in a lot of places. tho in better places the good hives are starting to get some honey in.

its typical, not good but certainly not bad.....yet.

Putaruru is rural for me, my hives have barely enough to sustain the population they have. If we had a week of rain right now I would be needing to feed them all.

nothing like last year in the bush areas

spotty, but mainly poor.

many seasons were very similar like this one lately.

some bad reports from far north where manuka is aready over for some.

I have one hive bringing in surplus nectar. The rest have used 95% of their winter stores(1 full box of honey per hive) and are holding their own. Most have plenty of pollen and a little fresh nectar around brood. None are drawing new frames. To me this is normal for here . I certainly wouldn't survive as a commercial on Waikato pasture

• Like 2

I have one hive bringing in surplus nectar. The rest have used 95% of their winter stores(1 full box of honey per hive) and are holding their own. Most have plenty of pollen and a little fresh nectar around brood. None are drawing new frames. To me this is normal for here . I certainly wouldn't survive as a commercial on Waikato pasture

Which leads me to something I was thinking about today -- see new post re Pasture For Bees.

• I've had to feed all mine this week..unusual for ones in town to be struggling this time of year

I'm not looking in mine. They'll sink or swim.

I'm not looking in mine. They'll sink or swim.

with the amount of rain we have had, they are probably doing a bit of both :rofl:

I think it's poor so far, I've seen hives in several sites round here, rural and sub-urban, on the point of starvation, and with dismal amounts of pollen.

Very little stores even in town hives. Lots of pollen and bees though. Usually they should be filling up very fast this time of the year. The ones out of town don't have anything coming in now. They have some stores which came in last month but that's about it. I think the rain this year is not helping. Not enough sunny days in a stretch to produce enough nectar. Supposed to have a week of fine weather coming up.

• Like 1

My hives are urban hamilton and have lots of pollen and the bees numbers have exploded. The hives I drew nucs from are building up again fast. There must be a small flow on here as they are madley drawing out new comb on the foundation in my honey boxes in the last week, some nearly a full box. There appears to be plenty of fresh nectar in the top brood boxes and some honey being stacked away up top.

• Like 1

Well, I thought it was just my bees. Struggling along, bees don't seem to have the "oomph" so far this season. Just enough nectar to keep them going, but that's about it.

Anybody heard of any swarms in the Waihi/Katikati/WBeach area yet? I've had nothing so far..... this time last year, I'd picked up 5 swarms.

My bees 2 km out of hamilton north.

Feeding them . Have Pollen . No necter. Have lost a nuc to starvation.

Thesame thing on the West Coast but we are lucky W.Quintinia ans Kamahi startingvto fllweron the coastal areas.

My hives have nectar and pollen coming in whenever the weather lets the girls work. They have lots of stores.

I'm quite happy with the spring so far this season. :)

Bees came out of winter very light on stores but they have steadily been building up honey reserves. Even Nuc's have been able to manage without extra feeding. Spring queens are now rapidly producing brood and I'm starting to combine weak/undersized hives ready for the main flow.

Strong hives have been drawing out new foundation (2nd jumbo brood boxes for new splits) for the last month, most hives now have their second honey box on (foundation only) though only a couple have started to draw out the foundation.

The local weather has been quite moderate both wind wise and rain wise with numerous good, warm, sunny, light wind days.

To really get the nectar flowing we need a couple of weeks of hot dry weather but it's still too early (don't want an early drought).

I think I am lucky - not too many beekeepers around, plenty and plenty of gardens and bush and fields, and fairly nice weather so far this season.

I can't really comment because I have no experience to compare my hives too and sugar feeding has confused things a bit. But CHCH has had plenty of good weather, alot of clover around (bits of peoples fence line that can't be reached by mower), hives are building up fast and plenty of pollen coming in.

Would like to hear from other Christchurch Urban people to see how theirs are getting on?

Our urban hives are doing well. we have added a second honey box to both hives. The two splits are filling up as well. I don't know what is flowering but when the weather is ok they are rocketing out.

Having a strange start on the Peninsula, in a number of apiaries (5 hives) three hives are doing very well and one has a starvation crisis either occurring or looming. Feeding a lot, last year fed not at all. And feeding nucs regularly unless full of honey.

I think it was the early warm spring which got the queens laying a lot, and now some get caught short of nectar/honey.

Fortunetly apiaries are close by so I can keep an eye on them.

I haven't been feeding at all @tudor but I did leave them lots of stores and they are getting nectar from somewhere

The people on here who saying their hives are going hungry, is it just sugar/nectar they are lacking or pollen too?

We have a couple of yards that have eaten their way through a surprising amount of stores, plenty of pollen coming in everywhere. Cooler than usual here ATM.