Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grant

Archive Building a Beehouse?

So who fancies making one of these? [attachment=1165:name] Taken from the facebook album KARÇALLARDAN KAÇKARLARA GEZİSİ /16 - 19 HAZİRAN 2011 MACAHE

that's just flippin amazing.. just trying to get my head around how they work it. The structure looks like it might be strong enough to hold them all empty... but imagine the weight in those boxes at the height of the season.

How do you work the bottom ones? Is the owner very short? I see lots of head bashing going in in there :)

[quote name='Kiwimana']How do you work the bottom ones? Is the owner very short? I see lots of head bashing going in in there :)[/quote] I wonder if child labour is an option? Or there might be a cut our in the middle so you can stand up. On that note how do you add another Super?

is that pile of wood underneath just in case he gets a afb outbreak:rofl:

[quote name='Grant']On that note how do you add another Super?[/quote] It looks like and i think this is how this structure has come about, in order to add another super you just add an extension pole between floors (Levels), I'm pretty sure that's what the spear poles underneath are for. I think they've got a rope with a pulley to that tree behind to keep winching it up , the restricting height of this kind of structure is determined by the height of the tree its next to.:rofl: oh and check out the bracing some earthquake engineers could learn something from this.

I'm a big, big fan of beehouses, never seen anything like that though. Don't think it's 'worked' often, and you don't generally super up in any beehouse, three boxes (or one 'drawer') is it. Is it Slovinia? Must Google the addy...

Ya Dave, some beekeepers have their hives on 3 or 4 levels. Totally different hives. Some hives are only one box with 24-26 frames.

so whats the main purpose of doing this, is it for wintering or Q breeding or both.

So we have one from Turkey. This two story beehouse runs only 40 full size colonies, in traditional three-story 'cupboard-style' hives. A small separate building, built in matching style about the size of a child's play house, houses a scale hive continuosly recording a pen-trace on a drum. You enter into a turret carrying a spiral staircase to the upper floor, the lower section filled with pumps and extracting gear, the upper floor has a fully equiped studio flat. All power for lighting etc is provided by a water turbine powered by a mountain stream behind the building. The hives have a fully plumbed, pumped distribution system for feeding sugar syrup, each hive has an integrated feeder on the top with a sight-glass and a stainless lance (clear tubing) for topping up. Somewhere I think I recall a winch, a sort of dumb-waiter. The beekeeper is fastidious, always beautiful clean comb, meticulous notes, attention to detail everywhere. Even the door furniture is bespoke. The bees are a bit 'ho-hum' frankly, a bit small and runny for me, but he likes them. Self-proclained as The Most Beautiful Beehause in Switzerland. [attachment=1474:name] So, Turkey or Switzerland? You choose.

What amazing pics... all of them!

[quote name='Grant']So who fancies making one of these? [ATTACH=full]388[/ATTACH] Taken from the facebook album KARÇALLARDAN KAÇKARLARA GEZİSİ /16 - 19 HAZİRAN 2011 MACAHE[/quote] This is from Turkey Black Sea after Dardanelles. the people of Black sea are well known with their unusual architect techniques. I know some people from there who do beekeeping. beekeeping is a tradition over there comes from their grand fathers.

I found this one today. No idea about the country.