just like a hobbyist

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thought this thread could do with a pic.

closest one is the old queen, smaller one is new queen.

[ATTACH=full]12040[/ATTACH]

only 8 or so boxes of honey to come off...........

The thread heading needs to be change.:thumbdown: Commercial beek trying to be hobbyist:). Are there many hobbyist leaving 8 high honey supers rather that extracting soon as it is capped.

Kindly define "normal" - or is this a physical verticality issue ? My new definition is that you do what you want, and learn from it.

As a "hobby" / "side-liner" I often go to 7 if the bees demand it - and then lots of honey !

Regards,

:)

tall-hives-1519.jpg.1a1c70f2deaa6cd23d40c9b025fd7bd0.jpg

tall-hives-1519.jpg.1a1c70f2deaa6cd23d40c9b025fd7bd0.jpg

Just wanting to inform the beginners and hobbyist that having an 8 high super is not normal. They may copy and inadvertently end up being a commercial beekeeper due to having excessive equipment.:D

i do know a few that only extract once a year due to the hassle of it all. 8 3/4 boxes high is not all that tall.

now i could go get the 2 frame hand powered extractor out of storage and make a mess of my garage.......or just run it through the plant at work. tough call :lol

Sometimes the bees are so busy bringing in nectar that they fill a few boxes before anything gets capped.

exactly, a lot of the boxes are not fully capped yet.

Kindly define "normal" - or is this a physical verticality issue ? My new definition is that you do what you want, and learn from it.

As a "hobby" / "side-liner" I often go to 7 if the bees demand it - and then lots of honey !

Regards,

Normal as physical vertically challenged to be able to safely lift supers above shoulder without having more extra super on the side to convert as steps. A practiced commercial beek will not have the problem as lots of tricks would have been learned. Hence a stack like that should be "just like a commercial" heading. All in fun.:)

My hive was bearding yesterday. extracted the top box instead of adding another box. Easy to stack empty box on top. Mission taking it off and spoils the fun of being a hobbyist.

Extracting ASAP separates the different flavor. My notes on the hives gives me an idea when i put which box on what likely period the flow was. But I have yet to determine what flower it came from which is the next challenge. I still have jars of honey including competition ones from a few years back as comparison.

My idea as a hobbyist is having the time to waste to determine the intricacies of beekeeping rather that seeing honey as just a commodity.

But like you said, each to their own comfort level. No offense to those who are abnormally tall enough to have a stack that high like @dansar, hence no crane required.:D

20160102_112127.jpg.725b3753decf6a2d3ece12d29e6cacf4.jpg

Bee room being "Dextered"

I agree with @tudor . Sometimes the bees are so busy bringing in nectar that they fill a few boxes before anything gets capped.

That's what happens to commercially bred bees. Quantity not quality.:rofl::D

20160102_111350.jpg.4dfffa4b06cd732012e8652bd1a8fc03.jpg

20160102_111403.jpg.954e87871c5f897a3ad8cb29a0e72c2f.jpg

20160102_112047.jpg.ae23b6f0421e797780fa0b391eb1c01f.jpg

20160102_111603.jpg.36ae73df7945b2e59cc4cc71762eed88.jpg

20160102_111350.jpg.4dfffa4b06cd732012e8652bd1a8fc03.jpg

20160102_111403.jpg.954e87871c5f897a3ad8cb29a0e72c2f.jpg

20160102_112047.jpg.ae23b6f0421e797780fa0b391eb1c01f.jpg

20160102_112127.jpg.725b3753decf6a2d3ece12d29e6cacf4.jpg

20160102_111603.jpg.36ae73df7945b2e59cc4cc71762eed88.jpg

• Like 2
Normal as physical vertically challenged to be able to safely lift supers above shoulder without having more extra super on the side to convert as steps. A practiced commercial beek will not have the problem as lots of tricks would have been learned. Hence a stack like that should be "just like a commercial" heading. All in fun.:)

:D(y)

a trick, like the 4 full supers sitting on the nuc ;). tho they where filled by the nuc, even tho queen has only just started laying. who needs nuc boxes!

Some of us start out as hobby beekeepers, catch lots of swarms and end up as commercials. Some commercials catch a swarm and end up as hobby beekeepers, eh @tristan. ;):rofl::rofl::rofl:

This thread makes me happy every time it pops up because it reminds me of the things I have learnt from this forum since joining it and the great people I have met, in person and on line. I also remember that you're never too old or too experienced in your trade to learn new tricks.

This is not about a beekeepers label, title or experience it about the joy of home ownership, and the pleasure of keeping bees.

• Like 1
@tristan i was wondering what your bees have been foraging on to get so much honey at this time of the season

we have really only just started here

not sure on the actual honey. would be better if i extracted more often @P K Tan ;)

north is earlier, not as early as the far north tho. season is not far from being done.

also helps to be on the edge of town. neighbor has very good garden.

there will be a bit of everything from fruit trees, bottle brush, willow, pohutakawa and or course clover. tons of weeds flowering due to neglected 10 acre blocks.

@P K Tan - you forgot to 'Dexter' the windows ;)

It's the new episode with more cruelty. The last thing a straggler bee will see before meeting it's maker. Blue sky.:mask::D

@tristan i was wondering what your bees have been foraging on to get so much honey at this time of the season

we have really only just started here

His reply was putting 4 boxes on before the queen has started laying. Whatever they bring in now will only be enough to raise brood. Commercial beeks may not have the time to be like a hobbyist with a box at a time.

• Like 1
His reply was putting 4 boxes on before the queen has started laying. Whatever they bring in now will only be enough to raise brood. Commercial beeks may not have the time to be like a hobbyist with a box at a time.

still trying to punch below the belt :eek: :rofl:

if you actually read it you will realize i never took the boxes off. think about it.

the other boxes went on 1 or 2 at a time as required.

• Like 1
And here I was thinking everyone else is abnormally short......... Seems I got that wrong:(:whistle::bee:

Sorry @Shaun @M4tt @okthen, we are all abnormally tall:D

@dansar :whistle:

I was thinking much the same (y)

I take a little step ladder with me to some hives at this time of the year, even I can't reach above 8 honey boxes high with out the assistance of some extra height.;)

I'm not proud, I need to stand on two empty FD boxes to bee the same height as a normal person...:mask: Himself has made me steps out of three bee boxes, but we never have the room these days to carry them.:whistle:.

If I dare to put myself forward and speak as a true hobbyist as per thread title, my hives never get beyond 3 FD high. My spoon swings into action long before first super is full..

• Like 1
I'm not proud, I need to stand on two empty FD boxes to bee the same height as a normal person...:mask: Himself has made me steps out of three bee boxes, but we never have the room these days to carry them.:whistle:.

Have you tried putting a hive mat on the top box ?

5 foot three....Well I used to be!

I am at this stage happy to get to three boxes high.

Now I have got two boxes. , Aiming for three.

Honey is for my bees this year.I might get some next.

You guys with millions of bees have forgotten how many you have... Maybe?

Having said that I am on boney dry ground down South.

Hey we got 24ml of rain!!!!

If my bees make a tower I will buy a step ladder.:D

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

quick note, escape board on yesterday late afternoon, 3 boxes off this morning. bit more bees left in it than last time, no doubt due to the short time. most flew out by the time i got it to the ute.

put the boxes on the scales, 77kg gross for the three boxes.

brood looking good, tho had not used all of the two 3/4 brood boxes. had a big ring of honey in the top box.

two supers added.

• Like 3