just like a hobbyist

i don't normally feed swarms unless they are small and havn't got the numbers to collect nectar. especially when we tend to have a lot of on/off flows.

one thing thats made a difference, i've changed tactics a bit. we used to use old gear for swarms (in case of afb) but now using foundation frames. they draw them out and tend to perform a lot better. also less work in the long run not having to get rotate out the old gear.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

as my old school teacher used to say "cheat fairly" ;):D

give it a few weeks and i will balance them up.

I just snagged a small swam this morning, what was left of a much bigger one, I reckon this has a virgin queen, whad ya think ?

maybe, maybe not. time will tell.

However I like to make the split in a way as the split and the mother hive will be balanced by the time both have a laying queen.

yeah thats what i was aiming for but with the misfire of the first queen the parent hive is getting bigger than than the nuc.

i might so a change of tactics for the next one. try a few other things i normally do not get to do.

@Merk, currently at the beach, B1 likes the beach, I think, plus 3 grandchildren, a great granddaughter and several granddaughters from SB, the swarm that you climbed forty foot up the Totara tree to get 3 weeks after B1 arrived! They are having a family holiday:lol:rofl::rofl::bee::tropicaldrink::wineglass::coffee2::coffee2:
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Decided to merge a queenless mating nuc with the parent colony yesterday. Removed all traces of the nuc and tipped bees onto ground in front of hive to beg in. 5 min later all bees gone. Success I thought. Then just as we're leaving the apiary discover bees all over the front of the next nearest hive to where the nuc used to be. Some fighting. Lots of disorientation.

In the end put the nuc back in place with a couple of foundation frames. Once the bees had resettled in the nuc I put the frames and bees in an empty super over newspaper above the parent hive. Lesson learned.

Just I was not sure why to keep them on if they are empty(plus the hive mat is not under so the bees still can access it).

Kind of insulation from too hot summer? Or do you have a top entry somewhere through the feeder?

I will not keep them on empty for myself, only if I put something into it.