tristan

manuka wars

can always blow up those ships that transport the milk since they are all infiltrated by the KGB. if they sink enough the milk price might recover.

blow up those ships that transport the milk

Great idea;). It's time we concentrated in polluting the oceans:oops::oops::oops:. I mean we are spending far, far too much time polluting the land.(y)(y) If we blow up the oil tankers as well we'd get the job done in half the time.:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

There you go letting the cat out of the bag again :P
I read there is some research being done into Kanuka so looks like we might have another "war" on our hands
  • Like 1

I read there is some research being done into Kanuka so looks like we might have another "war" on our hands

will depends how desperate acne teens get to get rid of their pimples.

I wouldn't be surprised what gems turn up in our isolated little enviroment down under.

• Like 1

I wouldn't be surprised what gems turn up in our isolated little enviroment down under.

Isolated ! Read up on Gondwanaland......

The research on Kanuka is interesting. In terms of who is doing it, WHY they are doing it, and how it is being done.

Maybe time to create a thread on it.

do enlighten us @ lovehoney

Another issue I thought of is that with the demand for "free" hives , everyone is tending to place hives in discrete locations . Good for theft prevention but it makes things a little more difficult when looking for new sites away from existing apiaries . Not all neighbours know whats happening over the fence .

• Like 2

there is a huge amount of interest of people wanting hives for the back yard and i strongly suspect that many are looking for $$$ for having them there. ie there is a manuka block just next door...... ;)

many land owners don't care about beeks next door.

it not just beeks waring over manuka but land owners to.

Is tis demand all about active Manuka

Are people interested puting hives near non active manuka

they are interested in anything that they THINK is manuka.

Is tis demand all about active Manuka

Are people interested puting hives near non active manuka

Ask Bob Jones what he would do.

When your opponent boxes, you scrap

When he scraps, you box.

• Like 1

I was just wondering because there is so much Manuka around where I am and not many beeks.

I thought it must be because it is not active

Shhhh

I doubt it we are to far away and we have wind

To far away I don't think so ae there are beekeepers from as far away as Auckland that send their bees down to the Tararuas for the manuka Harvest and the wind gets really bad just ask danser so it's just a matter of time before they come

• Like 1

To far away I don't think so ae there are beekeepers from as far away as Auckland that send their bees down to the Tararuas for the manuka Harvest and the wind gets really bad just ask danser so it's just a matter of time before they come

but we are in the south island

i think all the manuka pressure is in the north island, remote in the north island is not at all like south island remote

Give it time they will be chasing as much manuka they can get from wherever they can get it, with the hive numbers being thrown around what comvita want and Watson and son want ta build up to lookout they will bee on a manuka block near you

I was just wondering because there is so much Manuka around where I am and not many beeks.

I thought it must be because it is not active

You've also got a very fine particularly soft leaved feathery variety of kanuka which here anyway is an early flowerer.

What colour are your manuka flowers ?

You've also got a very fine particularly soft leaved feathery variety of kanuka which here anyway is an early flowerer.

What colour are your manuka flowers ?

Yes you are.right we have a lot of kanuka and it would be very difficult to get pure Manuka.

We have no naturally occurring pink Manuka.

Our Manuka.flowers later than up north and the odd winter flowering bush seems to be the bees last not first choice

That led me to assume.it must not be warm enough to get the nectar flowing.

You are right about our very soft leaved kanuka.

It is easy.to tell them apart

Manuka

Bigger flowers

Big cones left after flowering

Prickly leaves

Scrappy form and more likely to be sooty

Kanuka

Small flowers

Small cones

Soft leaves

Graceful form, gets alot taller

Things are getting incresingly crazy here in the nth Hokianga seems every big company in the country is trying to sqeeze into an already over crowded area.But today a new low achieved a new site in a crowded area with 80 hives and another small block with a new beek intending to place 200 hives on it.Beeks stacking boundaries with no reguard to owns the resource or how many hives in the area.I can see this getting ugly soon.On top of this my bank manager informs me that they are getting regular enquiery for loans to buy hives from people with no experience or sites.Don,t know where they think they,re going to go but the future looks increasingly like madness.

• Like 2