tristan

manuka wars

How are comvita doing it ? have they bought existing businesses, have they got one manager looking after 2-3 crews ?

Comvita is now a public owned Co, how do you go about finding a list of share holders?

Ive just been reading a report where among other interesting snippets it was said that Comvita want to increase hive numbers from 35,000 to 85,000 i would hope that would come about by acquiring other beekeeping businesses rather than just by increase their numbers!

It could get quite crowded !

Another little comment that made me smile was the ability for both DOC and regional councils to open up more land to beekeepers to help bolster supply of Manuka honey.... Funny how that coincides with them putting site fees up to $50 a hive!!!!

I don't like corporatization of any farming, primary industry activity as what you can lose is peoples connection to the land and living systems. Why not have heaps of $50,000 a year businesses rather than comvita paying 25,000 to seasonal workers?

• Like 1

I completely agree @Justin Blaikie my comment was made because if Comvita is going to increase numbers by that much It would be preferable for them to take over existing businesses, imagine the pressure on bee health and nectar and pollen resources from another 50,000 hives.

• Like 1

Comvita, when big co's get bigger, what the one thing they want to do ? ... I wish some of you would heed my warnings

Why not have heaps of $50,000 a year businesses rather than comvita paying 25,000 to seasonal workers?

Because it isn't a concept that appeals to the greedy b*********rs of the corporate world who can't help themselves buying new cars/yachts/holidayhomes/helicopters every year.

• Like 2

They are pushing real hard over here, i've heard all sorts of bee gossip about them land pricing local keepers out of the market, long long contract periods, underpaying here and over paying there. And i know they will pay obscene money for a good site and a couple of other incentives that i don't believe are quite right (more investigation to be done). I just tell people to make up their own mind. Remembering that only the wages earned by the beekeepers is staying (maybe) in northland - the rest - god knows. And for them to also remember ... Comvita are doing it for the profit of their shareholders - and the easiest way to gain more profit is to drive down the cost of obtaining the raw product.

• Like 1

How are comvita doing it ? have they bought existing businesses, have they got one manager looking after 2-3 crews ?

Comvita is now a public owned Co, how do you go about finding a list of share holders?

Robbie the list of names of shareholders in a company is a public record and is available to those who ask.

Shares & shareholders | Companies Office The Official Site

You could request the list from the Comvita Company secretary - they have to give it to you.

One problem you will soon find is that many shareholders hide behind, company names and other investment vehicles......so you do not find out how many shares your neighbour owns.

Robbie the list of names of shareholders in a company is a public record and is available to those who ask.

Shares & shareholders | Companies Office The Official Site

You could request the list from the Comvita Company secretary - they have to give it to you.

One problem you will soon find is that many shareholders hide behind, company names and other investment vehicles......so you do not find out how many shares your neighbour owns.

Thanks Don ...

Comvita are doing it for the profit of their shareholders .. I'll let you into a secrete, It's not hard for the top flight Comvita share holders to be borrowing money on their share holdings and buying back shares on the open market, there by consolidating, and then forcing a takeover

I'll let you into a secrete, It's not hard for the top flight Comvita share holders to be borrowing money on their share holdings and buying back shares on the open market, there by consolidating, and then forcing a takeover

yep - don't quite get that one..............

comvita or any company buying open market shares is very common

- returning capital to shareholders in a more tax-efficient manner than declaring dividends

- signaling to the market that its shares are undervalued and a good investment

- offsetting the impact of merger and acquisition activity

- reducing outstanding share count, thereby increasing earnings per share

yes - one of the things it does is consolidate shares. but i don't understand where you're going or why comvita would be forcing a takeover - why would the top flight be forcing a takeover after they bought up open market shares.

I'm confused...........

• Like 2

Ah yes, I see what you mean,

I'm thinking those at the top, may hold 25 - 30% of the Co shares, they may have another private Co that has steadily buying back listed shares on the S X, Those in that Private Co earn top $'s else where ( maybe even at comvitas expense ? ) and I bet they have good borrowing power,... so given time, all these fellows need is an opportunity to launch an attack, knowing that comvitas gross returns will offset any borrowing costs for a steady share buy out

WHY ? because these guys have a plan, to front the honey exports board, can you imagine the $$$$'s

Am I looking @ it with a jaundiced eye ?

And make no mistake, the national govt is well involved here, a multitude of reasons why

If Manuka tanks Comvita shares will be worthless

They are a one trick wonder

No I don't think they'll " tank " ... these guys have had it all figured out for ages,

Although, if the <admin: racial slur removed> stocks keep plummeting, can they afford to buy our stuff ?

Surely their own manuka honey must be almost be at the market

It's only a matter of time before someone figures out the stuff will grow very well in chile, there are close relatives from Gondwanaland already there.

That's the one !

The <admin: racial slur removed> stole all our apple varieties ... she is the biggest apple producer in the world

they stole all our kiwifruit varieties, we stupidly sold / gave / helped with dairy tech, .. she is the biggest milk producer in the world, closely followed by india.

There are fantastically wealthy people in china town, and they have absolutely no interest in home grown manuka, haha, yeah right !

It's only a matter of time before someone figures out the stuff will grow very well in chile, there are close relatives from Gondwanaland already there.

There you go letting the cat out of the bag again :P

I'm thinking those at the top, may hold 25 - 30% of the Co shares, they may have another private Co that has steadily buying back listed shares on the S X, Those in that Private Co earn top $'s else where ( maybe even at comvitas expense ? ) and I bet they have good borrowing power,... so given time, all these fellows need is an opportunity to launch an attack, knowing that comvitas gross returns will offset any borrowing costs for a steady share buy out

Ummm okay ??

WHY ? because these guys have a plan, to front the honey exports board, can you imagine the $$$$'s

Ummm okay ??

Am I looking @ it with a jaundiced eye ?

Different eye to me thats for sure - not saying your wrong, Just wondered where it all came from..............

she is the biggest milk producer in the world,

Dude get your facts right - india (domestic) united states (mainly domestic) then china (purely domestic) they also have the largest milk deficit.

they stole all our kiwifruit varieties

Ya gotta love that - the ######s stealing OUR chinese gooseberry's woops i mean kiwi fruit !!!!!

we stupidly sold / gave / helped with dairy tech

One of the prerequisites to supplying large amounts of dairy produce to China was to put in place infrastructure to further their domestic supply.

No factories and farms = No export to china.

All finished now

Carry on

• Like 2

Different eye to me thats for sure - not saying your wrong, Just wondered where it all came from............

Well we all know that the current govt, want's out, it's happy to legislate, but not run, it will take the tax buck, but pass it on in a different form, therefore we will have this so called bee unification set up, so maf/mpi make a cock up ... you will literally pay for the clean up. I doubt they will spend one tax $, the whole shooting match will be on OUR shoulders .. so who is that going to be ... who ever controls the end product, I would say .

So who approached who ? ... say an ex minister in the national govt also hand a big finger in a honey pie .....?

Dude get your facts right - india (domestic) united states (mainly domestic) then china (purely domestic) they also have the largest milk deficit.

They are right enough, your splitting hairs

Ya gotta love that - the ######s stealing OUR chinese gooseberry's woops i mean kiwi fruit !!!!!

Yep ! very droll .. there's almost no similarity between the two

• Like 1

That's ok Trevor, each to there own, the sinking of the rainbow warrior never happened, Monsanto never tried to force the world into GE only seed, the yanks never tried to start a civil war in Sth America via the CIA

• Like 1

Ditto, I'm with Karuhi on this one.

And both the apple and kiwi fruit growers are doing very well right now thank you very much - so much for giving our IP away.

Not sure where the Rainbow Warrior or Monsanto fit in here, so I'll leave that for others to respond too...

Earlier this week, French dairy farmers were marching and protesting the cheaper Chinese dairy products being sold in the EU.

Earlier this week, French dairy farmers were marching and protesting the cheaper Chinese dairy products being sold in the EU.

..... Tractors in Paris? No surprises there.

ABSOLUTE MALE BOVINE EXCREMENT !!!!

French farmers were protesting the drop in milk price, partially due to the drop in demand from China. They were blockading European cheese imports into France in the false hope they could lift their own milk returns if France ate French produced food, And wanting European Union intervention for a stop to milk price slide.