tristan

manuka wars

How do you get such a diverse group of people with a wide range of varied need to agree? We could end up with something awesome or awful

Hi there, I agree getting a bunch of eccentric personalities to work together is a challenge, but somehow it worked for Fonteras shareholders. Another great example is danish bacon. even though we can't buy it in NZ most people have heard of it. It's mostly produced by independent farmers in Jutland, but has to adhere to standards agreed collectively. It ensures quality, means danish farmers aren't competing with each other and there is a single brand the world recognizes which increases the value of the product.

If you want to see personalities in action, get to know some danish pig farmers

Anyway, rather than getting $3.50 a kg selling to the Chinese, what could we get with a shared NZ brand build on quality?

apologies in advance for any offence incurred. It's only my second post and just a thought :-)

• Like 1

Did you see the latest @frazzledfozzle. The Honey Network just sold 1213kg of NPA 22 for $111.00kg. Are really sure you don't want to move up north?

I do nottink the Manuka bubble will burst for a year or two.Crazy prices being paid.I guess this is medical,grade honey.It is amazing when selling manuka honey to locals and you tell them that no trials have bean done on the goodness of the honey taken internally.The price reflects the research done by Comvita etc.A band aidin the usa withe manuka on it retails for 10usd.Also I guess the Chinese use the Manuka as a tonic nust like Ginsing and,Deer Velvet.Just wait until trials on Ulmo and Jelky bush reach the world,Manuka will have a competitor.

I'd love to know how much of the medical grade +20 stuff is produced a year. mate of mine with a 1000 hives has only ever once got it and it was only 15kgs

• Like 1

the power ultimately lies with the landowner, so I suspect overtime, they will dictate how the industry develops. A co-op is a good idea from a marketing perspective, but there are too many BKs who want to do the marketing/sales themselves. A long way to go before this industry develops some stability and a level of maturity

going back to the days of the honey marketing authority would certainly solve the oversupply of hives situation.In those years my father and grandfather hardly ever made new gear as it was always cheaper to buy out someone who had gone broke. I found one old invoice in a suitcase I was looking through and the price they were receiving for Manuka was thripence per pound and one penny of that had to be paid to the honey marketing authority to help them market their own honey. The good old days!

• Like 2

the power ultimately lies with the landowner, so I suspect overtime, they will dictate how the industry develops. A co-op is a good idea from a marketing perspective, but there are too many BKs who want to do the marketing/sales themselves. A long way to go before this industry develops some stability and a level of maturity

I think the power will ultimately be shared between the landowners and those who can maintain healthy stocks of bees from one year to the next.

• Like 1

I'd love to know how much of the medical grade +20 stuff is produced a year. mate of mine with a 1000 hives has only ever once got it and it was only 15kgs

Would the +20 honey have started life as a lower umf, and then been stored in drums for a time to 'grow'?

• Like 1

More than likely most big guys have a full time blending /growing activity setup some on a rather large scale

Just stir in some DHA and wait ...

:)

hey @tristan did you hear about the 120 hives poisoned in mangawhai langs area over 4 sites? all the same beek.

i've heard plenty of rumors.

Lets hope it is not true.We have had outsiders moving in down here as well.A well known Blenheim ompany have gone in with The Glorivale Christin Community and are scrounging for sites.I have heard they are offering 13% of the crop.Now I do not know if that is nett or gross.We just have to hope the farmers are ethical people and not driven by money but enjoyment of the job.

I know 1 land owner that had 30 hives on there place poisoned they told me the beek had 3 other sites done. I have had people snooping around my hives removing lids as well

Any turn out to be true?

working on it.

unfortunately due to the people involved i'm not sure if i will ever get a straight answer.

i would think that due to the numbers involved that any suspect poisoning the beek would have got it tested for and we would have heard about it.

i suspect its more likely PPBK by a beek whose been dumping hives on top of everyone, else hence the allegation of hive poisoning. but there are some nasty ######s running around as well.

there is a rumor of afb problems, so a big lot of dead hives is a cause for concern.

tho if its disease problem it will show up in everyone else's hives soon enough.

• Like 1

With all these people snooping around hives, lifting lids, and stealing hives might be a good idea to go buy one of those game cameras used for hunting. Instead of taking photos of un suspecting deer you might get a pic or two of an un suspecting thief.

• Like 3

spoke to the beek today hives have been tested by asure quality and no disease.

at least thats some good news for everyone else.

• Like 1

You been watching too much breaking bad?

You mean there is no doping of honey to increase its value ?

Whew, I am relieved.

After learning that it is very easy to do ...

• Like 1

My mate in the Tararua told me that a guy from Watson and son approached his boss and said they will pay 25% of the crop and the true honey company would go 50/50 if his boss would buy the hives to put on their 3000 acre bush block

• Like 1