• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm thinking the same as you Janice - the price seems pretty good if it would last a few seasons. Looking at the sellers feedback he has sold a few and the buyers seem happy although the feedback I guess was posted soon after receiving the goods and not necessarily after a bit of use. I was hoping someone on the forum may have been a purchaser.

Says they are NZ made which must be good.

Some of the flash ones from the big bee suppliers have nylon gears. My 4 frame SS hand extractor has plastic gears. The question should be more along the lines of are replacement gears available.

I will post a trade me question

Certainly prompt on their reply "yes all parts available,but should last forever" Seem like a good price and idea to me.

The Auckland Beekeepers Club has a similar extractor that it loans to members for 5-10 bucks/day... It uses pulleys and a belt rather than gears but the rest of it looks the same, imagine it gets a fair bit of use and is still going strong I believe, havent used it for a while as I have my own ancient Pender Bros one now...

To meet demand from the influx of new members of our local bee club I'm thinking of importing several manual and electric 4 frame stainless steel extractors from mainland China. Anyone with any experience of importing and using extractors from this source ? Any recommendations or warnings ?

I bought the 4 frame stainless one that was @ the national conference last year. It's made in Italy and was heavily discounted. I hadn't even started beekeeping @ that stage!!! But I knew I would and wanted something that made the job easy, which it sure does. I've only used it twice so far, it is so easy to clean properly. Yes it has nylon gears, but it more than suits all my needs now and in the future. I put locking castors on it to make it easy to move around.

I've bought the Trademe one and it arrived this morning - was sent Friday from Auckland. It's a good size and has a nice solid feel to it, and it's quiet when it spins. The drum and lid are high-density polyethylene and I can't see it getting damaged in a hurry unless I back the Hilux into it or something.

Now I can't wait until the weekend to go robbing the girls. Bee escapes go on Friday night, Saturday I should be extracting my first honey.

• Like 2

Hi Janice I am a new beekeeper down near Portobello, doing the course back to front i.e. practical then theory, of which I have already learned a lot. Have three hives, one with supers needing taking off soon. Could I attend your robbing on Satuday to learn the practical process ? Thanks.

Hi Janice I am a new beekeeper down near Portobello, doing the course back to front i.e. practical then theory, of which I have already learned a lot. Have three hives, one with supers needing taking off soon. Could I attend your robbing on Satuday to learn the practical process ? Thanks.
Hi Tudor. I'm at Sawyers Bay - straight across the harbour from you. I haven't taken off any honey before except at the course last year, so I might not be such a good person to learn from. But you are welcome to come over. We can try out our theory together. I will send you a message with my phone number.

Well, we did it. I've extracted my first honey with able help from Tudor.

Bee escape boards are magic! I put the less-full supers on top of the brood box, then escape board, then supers for extracting that were full of bees. I put them on after work on Friday and we had no bees in the supers when we went to get them this morning.

The extractor was a breeze to use. I didn't like the amount of honey left in the bottom so I scooped it out with a soup ladle as much as I could, but there was a wee bit of waste. I guess that's unavoidable. But I have four 4-litre buckets of honey and the neighbours have a jar each. And there's more on the way . . .

• Like 4

Thanks Janice, I learned a lot especially about how well the escape boards worked, decapping, scratching and extracting. And thanks for the honey which received my wife's approval and has a lovely caramel end-taste (if you know what I mean).

Regards.

• Like 2

Well, we took one 3/4 super off one hive and two off another, but - long story - we didn't extract all the frames.

They had 10 each, but some weren't capped properly, so I put them back on to wait a week or so. Also, when I was swapping the boxes around before putting the escape boards on, I couldn't lift the heaviest boxes to the top so I swapped some partly capped frames with undrawn ones from other boxes, figuring I'd be back for the rest in a few weeks.

What I am trying to say is that I reckon there were about 22 frames extracted but I sort of lost count. However, it was a multiple of 4, plus 2, and some were rather heavy.

Well, we took one 3/4 super off one hive and two off another, but - long story - we didn't extract all the frames.

They had 10 each, but some weren't capped properly, so I put them back on to wait a week or so. Also, when I was swapping the boxes around before putting the escape boards on, I couldn't lift the heaviest boxes to the top so I swapped some partly capped frames with undrawn ones from other boxes, figuring I'd be back for the rest in a few weeks.

What I am trying to say is that I reckon there were about 22 frames extracted but I sort of lost count. However, it was a multiple of 4, plus 2, and some were rather heavy.

Janice I think we did 4 + 4 + 2 in all, and all that we did were heavy, but may have lost count of 4 more .

• 2 weeks later...