Hi, I have noticed that in many parts of the country a family can lease a hive at a certain annual fee and keep it in their back yard. THe hive is cared for and managed and the home owner gets a portion of the honey. I am in the Bay of Plenty and wonder if anyone extends this service to a residential area in Tauranga. Cannot find anything on the net. There seem to be people who do this in Auckland and Hawkes Bay, but I do not think they travel as far as Tauranga. I am really keen to lease, or hire a hive that is cared for by someone who knows what they doing, because I do not. I just respect bees, and would love a hive in my garden. I have tried so many avenues and just hit dead ends.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think anyone is doing it commercially in Tauranga.

Best bet would be contact the local bee club and it is highly likely there is a hobby beekeeper there with an extra hive or two they would like a different place to keep it.

You could also try a thread here titled something like Tauranga Place For Beehive Available, to attract attention from any Tauranga members who may want to do it.

• Like 1
I don't think anyone is doing it commercially in Tauranga.

Best bet would be contact the local bee club and it is highly likely there is a hobby beekeeper there with an extra hive or two they would like a different place to keep it.

You could also try a thread here titled something like Tauranga Place For Beehive Available, to attract attention from any Tauranga members who may want to do it.

Thanks for the advice.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi, I have noticed that in many parts of the country a family can lease a hive at a certain annual fee and keep it in their back yard. THe hive is cared for and managed and the home owner gets a portion of the honey. I am in the Bay of Plenty and wonder if anyone extends this service to a residential area in Tauranga. Cannot find anything on the net. There seem to be people who do this in Auckland and Hawkes Bay, but I do not think they travel as far as Tauranga. I am really keen to lease, or hire a hive that is cared for by someone who knows what they doing, because I do not. I just respect bees, and would love a hive in my garden. I have tried so many avenues and just hit dead ends.

Hi Urban Gardener,

I may be able to help you with a bee hive.

(admin edit remove ppi)

Cheers, Greg

• 4 weeks later...
Hi @URBAN GARDENER I am sure someone on this forum will be able to help out. But how about getting your own hive and learning the wonders of keeping bees? The costs can stackup for the first season though.

I really don't know if this is a great idea nower days, it's hard enough for ' commercials ' to keep hives going

big investment of $ 300+ to watch it go down the drain

Hi Urban gardener, <contact details removed from public facing area>

• 2 weeks later...

Hello There

I can assist you with this and do this in the BOP already however admit I haven't made it very well known as yet.

Thanks

Jason

Admin: Private contact details removed as per forum protocol.

• 5 months later...
I really don't know if this is a great idea nower days, it's hard enough for ' commercials ' to keep hives going

big investment of $ 300+ to watch it go down the drain

"Commericials" can make a go of it, we do it for a living in Nelson and have hundreds of rental lease hives in urban environment. Great resource when the bush blocks aren't doing so well.

• 2 weeks later...