HiveAlive- feed for bees

The study I added a link to showed an improvement over years - something Randy Oliver didn't do. it would be good to see a repeat of the Pakistan study - especially now that n. ceranae is now common.

it really doesn't matter.

the study you posted was about nosema apis which is not applicable to nosema ceranae.

they are very different, you can't just take the result of a study on one animal and apply it to another.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't mind sharing my info with other beekeepers at all - sharing's caring, right? But this thread was started by Linda from HiveAlive so I don't really want to share my recipe undermining her product on her own thread. I may have said too much already (Foot in mouth is my specialty :oops:)

If anyone wants to PM me with questions I'll be happy to help, or if there is a different thread going where this may be applicable I could share it there.

Really interested in where you managed to purchase the thymol, spearmint, lemongrass and agrisea.

would you mind to share recipe .

Not sure how to PM you.

Really interested in where you managed to purchase the thymol, spearmint, lemongrass and agrisea.

would you mind to share recipe .

Not sure how to PM you.

Hi there Kate, I posted some contact details on your profile - which apparently was the wrong thing to do, admin in all their wisdom deleted the post, saying "keep it in the forums please, that's where the question was asked" As I have already stated, I'm not going to hijack someone else's thread, that's just common courtesy in my book. I thought that writing something on your profile was akin to sending you a message but obviously not...

Hi there Kate, I posted some contact details on your profile - which apparently was the wrong thing to do, admin in all their wisdom deleted the post, saying "keep it in the forums please, that's where the question was asked"

The reason for deletion was twofold. Keep the answer with the question and don't post contact details publicly. Profile posts are public. To exchange contact information you can start a conversation.

Here is your reply to @kate lobb for continuity in this thread.

Hi Kate, I get all my oils and bits and pieces from pure nature. Flick me an email if you want and I'll send you some info on the concoctions I use. <email address removed>

Look forward to talking with you,

Matt

I bought a litre of Hive Alive last year and fed it to some of the hives last autumn. Comments are it was a good syrup preservative, bees were not quite as ready to take the syrup as syrup that did not have Hive Alive added, and there was no discernible difference this season between the hives that got it and the ones that didn't.

However it was one of those seasons nearly all the hives came through winter in excellent condition so perhaps there was no N. cerana anyway, ie, nothing for Hive Alive to achieve.

The reason for deletion was twofold. Keep the answer with the question and don't post contact details publicly. Profile posts are public. To exchange contact information you can start a conversation.

Here is your reply to @kate lobb for continuity in this thread.

Thanks for the clarification on that - I wasn't aware that profile posts were public.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

HiveAlive is sold in NZ as a feed supplement for honey bees and complies with all relevant regulations. The idea is to add it to the Autumn syrup feed so that the bees get a minute dose as they use the stores through the Winter and Spring, promoting intestinal wellbeing and preventing issues developing. If there is a perfect Spring you probably will not see any difference between hives fed it and those not fed it. However if it is a cold wet Spring and the bees can't get out, you will probably see a big difference. Problem is that when you need to feed it at the optimum time in Autumn, you don't know what the Spring will be like so it is really an insurance policy. There was a paper presented at Apimondia that showed big gains in production and hive health on the second year of use. It is widely used by commercial operators in NZ including two of NZ's largest beekeeping operations - draw your own conclusions. Also of note is that HiveAlive has been developed specifically for honey bees.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...