HiveAlive- feed for bees

Hi everyone,

My name is Linda and I am a researcher with a company called Advance Science who make HiveAlive.

I am interested in learning more about beekeeping in New Zealand and requirements of beekeepers.

HiveAlive is a complementary feed for bees. I would love to get feedback from any of you who have used it, feel free to contact me anytime.

Also, if you have any questions about its use, please let me know. For more information about the product, check out our website, Advance Science - HiveAlive - Inspired by Nature - Designed by Science

Looking forward to talking with you!

Linda

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Linda,

Same here, if you want something you have to give something in return!

Send us some samples and we are more than happy to test them for you!

In saying that, we here in NZ have a very special climate. Your product may or may not work!

Best way to find out is to have 'field trials'!

I am sure there are a good number of volunteers on this forum! ;)

• Like 1

I suggest if you are trying it don't use it on all your hives, that way you can make some kind of comparison. Really, unless you have a lot of hives, all equalized at the start, you aren't going to be able to tell if there's a difference and, that the difference is worth the cost. Even then, you might notice something is different, but not know what it is.

That goes for any kind of whimsey you might take up.

• Like 3
I suggest if you are trying it don't use it on all your hives, that way you can make some kind of comparison. Really, unless you have a lot of hives, all equalized at the start, you aren't going to be able to tell if there's a difference and, that the difference is worth the cost. Even then, you might notice something is different, but not know what it is.

That goes for any kind of whimsey you might take up.

I agree, thanks for that Dave. I think I will probably treat every second hive at this stage.

There have been some recent changes to our Fair Trading Act which require that any clams about a product must be substantiated. That means claims must be based on repeatable results from a number of trials.

Full details are available from the Commerce Commission web site; Unsubstantiated representations | Commerce Commission

I am like Dave, completely gobsmacked that Stalker can purchase a product based on marketing statements and one set of trial data. The new law change gives Stalker a claim opportunity on the supplier.

There have been some recent changes to our Fair Trading Act which require that any clams about a product must be substantiated. That means claims must be based on repeatable results from a number of trials.

Full details are available from the Commerce Commission web site; Unsubstantiated representations | Commerce Commission

I am like Dave, completely gobsmacked that Stalker can purchase a product based on marketing statements and one set of trial data. The new law change gives Stalker a claim opportunity on the supplier.

I'm not sure if you are having a dig at me or the manufacturers...if it is me then don't lose sleep over it - I bought it with my eyes wide open. Thanks for the input though

• Like 1

To those who have bought the product, thank you very much for your purchase. HiveAlive was developed and manufactured in Ireland and has been in use here and across 20 countries for over 2 years, covering a wide range of climates. We agree with you trialling only half of your colonies so that you can see the benefits for yourself. Just to remind you, the revised feeding instructions are 2.5 ml of HiveAlive per litre of syrup, 4 litres per colony. This means one 500 ml bottle can feed up to 50 hives.

We would like to give everyone a bottle of HiveAlive for trials but unfortunately we would not be in business if we did! All our trials are performed by research scientists in independent institutes.

Saying that, if you want a free bottle we currently have a fun competition on Facebook to win bottles of HiveAlive. Check it out! HiveAlive - Galway, Ireland - Research Service | Facebook

• Like 1
  • 10 months later...
Just wondering @Stalker how the this product went for you?

It's probably a little hard for me to fairly rate HiveAlive, but in saying that I definitely don't have anything bad to say about it. I put it in all my sugar syrup last season, and especially made sure I gave my nucs a couple of feeds with it. My hives did very well with good populations and healthy looking fat shiny bees. My nucs built up quickly and I had minimal losses.

However, I won't be using it this season as I have made my own brew using the same ingredients as HiveAlive. Thymol, lemongrass oil, spearmint oil, and Agrisea.

These are emulsified into syrup using lecithin as an emulsifier and I have made an end product that looks and smells just like HiveAlive except it's not pink.

I'm definitely not taking away from HiveAlive as I believe it is a good product and if it was a lot cheaper then I would be using it this season.

Hope this helps!

• Like 4
We're did you get your thymol from? And if you don't mind me asking what is your recipe.

I don't mind sharing my info with other beekeepers at all - sharing's caring, right? But this thread was started by Linda from HiveAlive so I don't really want to share my recipe undermining her product on her own thread. I may have said too much already (Foot in mouth is my specialty :oops:)

If anyone wants to PM me with questions I'll be happy to help, or if there is a different thread going where this may be applicable I could share it there.

• Like 1

In the UK, thymol crystals are available from the beekeeping suppliers. There was a study done which shows that thymol can be used for nosema - and is better than Fumidil B. The 'paper which describes it and a thymol mixture is shown on this web page here

• Like 1