Alastair

Grafting, when do you plan to start?

I have drones in hives but I certainly haven't seen them coming and going. Just lazing around getting fat from what I can see

Like wise Drones are doing the same here.

yer those north island drones take a bit to get going, where as down here they are out and a bout doing there thing, got a young mated queen :)

• Like 3

yer those north island drones take a bit to get going, where as down here they are out and a bout doing there thing, got a young mated queen :)

U lucky! I had to kill one of my queens as she failed to mate! :thumbdown:

• Like 1

After six weeks of continuous cold cloudy and often wet weather most of my hives are lucky to have brood let alone drone brood. Normally if I needed to I would risk raising cells from the start of September as it least when your early you normally beat the equinoctial gales. We've had about one days sunshine in the last three days which is a big improvement but it will be many weeks especially for the backcountry hives before there will be any drones fit to do anything. I saw some weaker hives yesterday that had been eating their own brood because they had no pollen at all. A few hours sunshine the day before had allowed them to gather some pollen and they were already laying out but these hives will take some time to recover.

• Like 1

thanks, John. i was staring to wonder if i'm on a different island with all this swarm talk.

yes, one of the slwoest starts and most miserable august i have seen for a wile. some sites had early flows and look alright, but many are way behind.

i mainly run a very conservative brown localized italian, and i trust them to know what they are doing. they seem to think it's all a bit later this year.

• Like 1

Our first cells where a fail they where due to come out tomorrow, only did a small graft to test the water, have got a slightly larger graft in the oven now, there's some drones around but not masses.

• Like 1

had considered to do a few queens mid august, cos retrospective end of august gets a few nice days and usually has reasonable drones. thanks goodness i didn't bother. would have been frustrating.

You guys are in the wrong island ;)

• Like 2

I think it is not the normal practice. But if you have a drone laying queen and could supply it with other worker bees from other hives to maintain it as a drone producer. Are the drones viable for mating?

I think it is not the normal practice. But if you have a drone laying queen and could supply it with other worker bees from other hives to maintain it as a drone producer. Are the drones viable for mating?

never heard of anyone doing it, but can't see why not.

would take a lot of nurse bees and ongoing supply. drones need a lot of care to be good and successful.

actually an interesting thought. for example if you wanted to flood an area with some really mean breed and wouldn't want to get stung yourself you could do that. (i must have had bad dreams last night).

Started yesterday using the cloak board method, pulled the cloak board today 99% cells started.

I use a Chinese grafting tool

• Like 1

Have you seen this man with the nice fish 0800107info :P

I intend to put down my first graft tomorrow, still not fully satisfied with what I'm working with but time to test the waters, not enough drones yet for my liking and the weathers too bloody iffy, the temps aren't hitting where they need to be and its been bloody miserable here for the last month!

• Like 1

First queens of the season starting to lay as of yesterday....hard life living in paradise ;-)

• Like 4

First queens of the season starting to lay as of yesterday....hard life living in paradise ;)

I wish you'd stop saying things like this. All that happens is another 3,000 poms read it in London and pour off the next plane & skyrocket prices in Stoke :eek:

• Like 2

First cells for the season now mated and laying well

• Like 3

I believe drones take at least 2 weeks after hatching to be sexually mature ( there is a simple test to check )

so if you don't have emerging drones, your wasting your and the bees time ?

So you have all these new queens, are you doing splits or spring queen replacements ?

Drones have been here all winter. Plenty coming on now. Most mature queens have a good amount of drone brood towards the outside of the frames. Is it favourable for them to fly yet because mine are still lazing around in the hives

If the cool breeze I've been flying around in up your way the last few days is any indication they'll not be too keen yet