Alastair

Grafting, when do you plan to start?

Was kinda hoping to start queen cell production around 15th August. But with all this cold weather the bees are still in winter cluster mode & considering all things such as drone availability etc I cannot see things being ready to start by mid August.

Just wondering what others are doing or when planning to start?

• Like 1

please no, don't even suggest the start of the season :eek: i need party time :P

I was thinking august too, but I guess we shall have to wait and see :)

please no, don't even suggest the start of the season :eek: i need party time :P

I have drones in some of my hives in Christchurch already nutty winter, think we could have a swarmy spring.

It's been a warm winter my hives have lot's of pollen and honey and my queens are getting on a bit just got our first plum blossom out here today .

Keen to get some grafts going I've got my drone hive's and cell hives sorted

if its stays mild things will kick off fairly quickly.

but if we get a good cold snap that will put the brakes on things for a bit.

• Like 1

Yes, well that's kinda happened where I am, up until around a month ago the bees have been over active with the warm weather, but now it's been real cold at night and they've finally decided it's winter. Just about when I want them to start waking up.

I have a suspicion that even when the weather starts warming up, there will be the odd really cold snap this spring, usually just after I've made a bunch of nucs & spread some brood around.

Try not to get too excited and graft too early, queens need warm daytime temps much warmer than we get at this time of year

• Like 1

True. Just I left it a bit late last year so been basically planning scheming & making equipment all based around starting mid August. Now I'm all set for action & it's not happening!

Anyway, can't control the weather, just have to go with the flow...

True. Just I left it a bit late last year so been basically planning scheming & making equipment all based around starting mid August. Now I'm all set for action & it's not happening!

I was actually aiming my comment at glynn but I got sidetracked by an email so my post came in under yours Alastair.

Kirwee is a hang of alot colder than Auckland !

Oh that makes sense. Yes I got a few drones too but don't think there's going to be decent quantities for a while.

I was actually aiming my comment at glynn but I got sidetracked by an email so my post came in under yours Alastair.

Kirwee is a hang of alot colder than Auckland !

Yes frazz our home hives are still firmly in winter mode still ticking along was going to try some grafts in Christchurch early September one hive already has over 6 frames of brood I may try earlier all depends on growth in the hives and the weather

Drones are relatively easy to get with a decent lead up, the decent mating weather is harder, and it doesnt matter how many drones you have if they aren't flying (look at me stating the obvious). My first graft will be a week before the end of august with first cells out early september.

I wish you all a warm sunny spring I have to make plans now as I get busy with other thing and another session is shot

My first graft will be a week before the end of august with first cells out early september.
Sounds like a plan.

generally i start around 2nd week of september to keep guys in the waikato happy ,generally don't have enough drones here until october and that means i miss the nice weather at the end of september

Do drones have a use by date.

@P K Tan Look in the mirroer.:rofl::eek::rolleyes::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle:

Well! If anything like me then Great News. Like the Energizer battery advert. Keeps going and going ....:) what brand are u.:)

• Like 1

I'm more of a solar panel, myself

• Like 2

I'm more of a solar panel, myself

So flat or so shiny?

Sometimes flat but on a nice day like this I am shiny :)

im thinking starting around last week of august we have stimulated all the cell builders and done varroa tests oxalic, plus i have put drone frames in our strongest hives yesterday they where stimmed up about10 days ago. But for us things looking quite good on our queen breeding front, hives are well on schedule.

• Like 1

Yes looks like late August for me too. Just started the spring round today and pleased to find a few hives already pumping that will be excellent cell raisers. Stuff all drones though but some sealed drone brood in a few hives. Will just have to wait till the time is right.