sugar syrup feeding via a petrol powered pump

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers Alastair i gave it a whirl out in the field today and yip no problems when you shut the nozzle off even with a few revs I will definately change the inlet pipe to something more heavy duty and replace the main hose to 3/4 as inch is a bit overkill but I'm very happy with it

How many Liters/ min does it pump? also not sure if you answered the question how do you over come the pressure building once the nozzle is off? Personally i don't like carting IBC around not so bad on that truck of yours, i find them dangerous.

actually, .... just thinking, If you'd built an hydraulic hiab at the back of the truck tray. you could lift the tank way up in the air and let gravity do the job, then you could have dispensed ( no pun intended ) with the hassle of marrying the pump into the system

lol a bit dangerous . to my personal belief not worth the hassle , pumps the way to go haha good idea tho

Hi Michael pump set up looks good, some suggestions for the future cow shed water hoses last very well I have had mine for over 10years, for petrol pumps if you use a bypass hose going back into your tank, T it off your outlet end of the pump will help when you have nozzle shut and pump still going. You can also use this to mix the sugar in the tank, a tap also helps on this hose at the pump end to adjust bypass amount when feeding. If you also look at a petrol pump when next filling up and get hold of the same fittings on them you can save a lot of fighting a long hose that wants to twist.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
I forgot to say I use an electric pump with a pressure switch T'd off the outlet and use the hose as a pressure tank and when I stop pumping the sugar the pump turns of and when I pull trigger pump comes on again.

i wpuld like to know what pump you use cheers or how you set it up with the trigger

cheers. tom :)(y)

• 8 months later...
I forgot to say I use an electric pump with a pressure switch T'd off the outlet and use the hose as a pressure tank and when I stop pumping the sugar the pump turns of and when I pull trigger pump comes on again.

yeah i would be keen to know what pump and pressure switch you used and how well it works, how fast it runs?

Pump is an American Fill rite fuel pump, double headed diaphragm pump, the pressure switch is the same as you have on your outside water pressure tank. The pressure switch is connected to your pump on/off switch and you adjust the pressure switch to suit. I like mine to go and stop as soon as I pull/release the handle on my gun nozzle. The p switch is connected to the out let end of the pump with a little T before the hose is, so the hose becomes the pressure tank. My hose is just cowshed wash-down hose and is 5mtrs long. I have husky swivel between my gun nozzle and the end off the hose, the same set up as you get at gas stations so you don't have to fight with the hose all the time, I also have another husky swivel at the pump end that way I am not fighting the hose and I don't get any kinks in hose and can throw it on and off the truck/Ute

Any electrical pump would do.

we use a jassco maxi puppie 12 v, expensive pump but has feed 100 of thousnds of litres and still going strong, it sounds much the same set up as dennis has pressure switch swivel head, we have it running off a truck battery separate from the ute and it charges via alternator and relay while truck is in normal driving, we have a 20 mtr, 20mm non kink wire core hose has lasted well been run over once but still ok, the beautie is its quite, no petrol, and its not pumping when you don't need it, will try get some photos on

• Like 2
Would a pump like this suffice? Circulation or Bilge Pump - 25 litre | Trade Me

Thanks for that i need one of those when i get my ballasts to deck out the boat for wakeboarding, As far as pumping sugar i think it will do the job but not sure how long it will last i cant quite remember but i think it needs a nitrile?? impeller sugar can be hard on impellers, the one on our maxi puppy must be the right one, recomended to me, its still as good as the day we got it, remember the litre rate will not be what they say with water syrup is much thicker, will do some homework for you on the pump like i said it was few years ago we got ours so information in my head is hazzy:thumbdown:

we have set up a system similar to this for a few beekeepers and can supply pumps, hose, fittings, and dispensing nozzles.

If you are using the pump for mixing you will need to use a engine powered pump but if you are just dispensing to hives a 12 volt diaphragm pump is a good way to go.

we have set up a system similar to this for a few beekeepers and can supply pumps, hose, fittings, and dispensing nozzles.

If you are using the pump for mixing you will need to use a engine powered pump but if you are just dispensing to hives a 12 volt diaphragm pump is a good way to go.

Thanks Rod. Con you upload a proper photo of the unit and some specs please.

Also business name, location, web page would be helpful

Thanks

just remember flow rates change when pumping sugar, and there's a big difference between thick and thin syrup, and that can change timing of the pressure switch cutting out, but thats stuff you figure out as your going.