Michael Romley

sugar syrup feeding via a petrol powered pump

gidday evryone I have just purchased a petrol pump for feeding sugar I would like to plumb it into one of my square 1000 litre tanks does anyone on here use a similar setup? and if so how do you have it plumbed up?

cheers

mike

Just sent you a pm, regarding this.

gidday evryone I have just purchased a petrol pump for feeding sugar I would like to plumb it into one of my square 1000 litre tanks does anyone on here use a similar setup? and if so how do you have it plumbed up?

cheers

mike

Just sent you a pm, regarding this.

If it isn't secret :mask:, it'd be great to share the info on the forum (rather than behind the scenes) so others see too (y)

Haha, I know Michael and was sending him my email address and having a chat.

• Like 2

if no one posts an update on this I can get some photos of the system down here which is basically what the OP is asking.

I can take photos but dont have the terminology to name all the bits!

we mix in a tank then pump into another tank on the truck thus has a hose connected to a pump and another hose with nozzle like a bigger version of a petrol pump

• Like 1

gidday everyone pretty much got it sorted today just a small amount of fine tuning on a couple of things will post some pics up when done cheers for the great advice

• Like 1

Hey everyone I completed the pump today and its working very well here are some pics it was very easy to do and I'm looking forward to trying it out in the field

image.jpg.c1754750dbc5d9472f39384680d449d7.jpg

image.jpg.db1c876bb4dcb217ba930194220d1a13.jpg

image.jpg.ef9379fb7efab4f4b840d0c82e77cd15.jpg

image.jpg.26353aab2951a88e9ddf07fb7169c644.jpg

just watch the intake hose. it may suck in. prefer reinforced hose for the intake. also the sharp 90 degree bend from the tap is not great. it probably won't be an issue untill the tank is low. a fast pump with a restriction caused by the sharp bend can generate enough suction to collapse the hose.

just something to keep an eye on.

• Like 1

That's a big old pump

Nice set up there Michael well done. Certainly looks like that pump will have heaps of power does it have something in place to take the pressure off when the outlet is closed.

Agree with Tristan, sooner or later those issues he raised will give problems, probably not totally urgent but you should address those things when time permits.

But I like the set up.

Cheers Alastair i gave it a whirl out in the field today and yip no problems when you shut the nozzle off even with a few revs I will definately change the inlet pipe to something more heavy duty and replace the main hose to 3/4 as inch is a bit overkill but I'm very happy with it

Hey everyone I completed the pump today and its working very well here are some pics it was very easy to do and I'm looking forward to trying it out in the field

[ATTACH=full]6415[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]6414[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]6416[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]6417[/ATTACH]

The red hose in pic 1 didn't fit? :whistle::whistle:

I think you will have an issue with the 2 hoses over time. They look like a similar hose as the ones we started with and although the flexibility is better than the ones I currently use they developed splits pretty quickly. that said I run a bigger pump than you do on mine.

actually, .... just thinking, If you'd built an hydraulic hiab at the back of the truck tray. you could lift the tank way up in the air and let gravity do the job, then you could have dispensed ( no pun intended ) with the hassle of marrying the pump into the system

actually, .... just thinking, If you'd built an hydraulic hiab at the back of the truck tray. you could lift the tank way up in the air and let gravity do the job, then you could have dispensed ( no pun intended ) with the hassle of marrying the pump into the system

that would be more trouble than a pump setup.

" that would be more trouble than a pump setup."

Just recently, whilst ambling through the Auckland zoo, we noticed to our delight, that the primates were engineering ( obviously to keep them amused ) a machine with almost exactly the same principal as the hiab idea. although they were struggling with a computer glitch in the robtics .

• Like 1

Is the size of the pump to mix the sugar? We have a very small Honda pump we use on a 1000 litre tank for a H2O cart and for mixing up deicer witch is thicker than syrup

Any one that has used a hiab on uneven ground will point out the pitfalls and there is a lot of cost roadusers to use a bigger truck this can be put on a smaller truck Ute ect

Not to mention you need to get 3 meters in the air to get 15 psi. You won't get high enough with a hiab to get decent pressure.

by the time you get the hiab legs out, block them, unstrap the ibc, fit hiab straps to the ibc and then lift it......

you could have fired the pump up, fed all the hives and had a cup of tea.

• Like 1

Not to mention you need to get 3 meters in the air to get 15 psi. You won't get high enough with a hiab to get decent pressure.

10.5 metres, more like... :)

Then there's the price of the pumps they are so cheap now I just wanted to know why the pump is so big

Is the size of the pump to mix the sugar? We have a very small Honda pump we use on a 1000 litre tank for a H2O cart and for mixing up deicer witch is thicker than syrup

no just for pumping into hives works very well at idle