Dave Black

document: Starting out with 'Bees

Dave Black submitted a new resource:

[plain]Starting out with 'Bees[/plain] - [plain]What do I need, and how much does it cost, to start beekeeping?[/plain]

I get asked a lot how much it costs to get into beekeeping, so here is a list of basics to get you started. You can waste a lot of money so my advice is to spend your time at club days, apiary visits or classes discussing the pros and cons of the equipment you see long before you get your credit card out, and long before you get your bees.

Read more about this resource...

• Like 4

I bought a metal box for keeping my smoker in. It came from the Warehouse, labelled Laundry, and has a close-fitting lid so the smoker will quickly run out of oxygen and go out. It cost about $20. Kmart has something similar.

• Like 1

To kill the smoker just take the top off and push a wad of grass into the spout then put the top back on. cost $20

just stick a cork in the end, can sell you one for 20 bucks, Janice lol

• Like 1

Seen one who used a bit of mud from the ground. I use a bit of paper which get used to start the next round.

• Like 1

I keep it in the tin because I know people who have stuffed grass etc in the smoker - as I do too - and then it has rekindled later on in the car. Mine can't.

• Like 1

I use a champagne cork and lay it on its side if I want it to go out, but that's misses the point. It takes time to cool, and, embers can spill from the air intake. I put it in a steel case so embers aren't an issue, the heat doesn't melt my carpet, and the box keeps it stable and in one place, not sliding around the foot-well. Nor do I want it to go out, I have other hives to go to. In a metal box it is under control and easily re-started. When we had hives in the forestry the smokers went into a closed steel tool-box on the truck and it kept the fire control people happy. They don't like them in an open super on the back of the truck.

• Like 3

I use a bit of doweling attached with a cord to the smoker guard. That way I don't lose it. I also keep mine in a metal tin for safety.

• Like 3

I use a bit of doweling attached with a cord to the smoker guard. That way I don't lose it. I also keep mine in a metal tin for safety.

Ditto for me :)

I have a dowel plug on a light stainless rope and a tin with a hinged lid that the whole smoker goes into.

• Like 2