• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are the girls around her daughters? I have hives like this black carnie queens with Italian style daughters, put it down to cross breeding.

The there is also all sorts in between, odd pure black ones and some with black tail and red band. Makes bee watching fun.

Are the girls around her daughters? I have hives like this black carnie queens with Italian style daughters, put it down to cross breeding.

The there is also all sorts in between, odd pure black ones and some with black tail and red band. Makes bee watching fun.

Yeah, these are her daughters. I share your view that the colour is a throw back from cross breeding?? Anyways, I enjoy finding the odd dark queen, I think they are pretty :love:

Hope to find this other one I mentioned, she was jet black, however it was late arvo when I saw her so perhaps she's not so dark in the sun

I share your view that the colour is a throw back from cross breeding?
Notice the bees in your pic are a bit of a mix. Directly above the queens head you can see the abdomen of a pure carniolan looking bee. So if the hive decides to make themselves a new queen and supersede the old one, if the egg that became the new queen happened to be like the egg that became that carniolan looking one, the queen would be black.

My guess is the queen pictured came from an egg that was mostly carniolan but perhaps not as much as the darkest bee in that pic, she then mated with mainly Italian drones so can throw light coloured workers. Her drones though, will be dark to black. I've noticed that the first cross of a carniolan queen can still be jet black, it's the next cross that can get stripes. So that queen could have more Italian in it than the eye can see, and because the workers are mostly light that's my guess although the drones she mated with must also have mostly been Italian. There may have been one carniolan drone among them so that in some of the eggs all the genetics happen to come together and make a black bee. When the hive supersedes next time it's likely the queen will be light coloured as most of the eggs being layed are turning into lightish bees.

The black worker bee in the pic can be identified as carniolan not AMM by the bands of hair that give it's abdomen an almost striped appearance.

• Like 1
[ATTACH=full]9501[/ATTACH]

@yesbut

Check out this girl I saw yesterday

This looks typical of my carni/italian cross hives (about 7 hives), none of which are any more defensive than straight Italians or straight carni's. Also worth noting straight carniolan queens have a light colour under their abdomens, so is this also a distinctive feature of AMM queens?

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...