Frazz will be pleased to know I've got some jet black drones, and very small black workers with tiny bright thin bands of yellow. Not many, but there are a few. A lot of my workers seem to me to be particularly small at the moment.

• Like 1
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Th temperament differs between queens.I do not know why some people are against dark race of bee.I ave both italian and Amm and crosses and am keeping good records to which race does the best and is most economic to keep.I also have carnioln stock as well.Do not forget I do not treat.

• Like 2

We had About 80 hives of full blown AMM s they were truly terrible had to buy gloves to work them and wear two layers of clothing under our beesuits. Open them up and they would leave the hive on mass hardly a bee

Left on the frames. Hives were full of chalk brood and the little &@?//& would sting like crazy and chase you 200 yards down the road .

Thats just a couple of reasons why I hate AMM

• Like 3
  • 5 months later...

Can anyone tell me what these bees are likely to be. They came from Hamilton and are very aggressive.

They attack on sight from 40m.

Very vigorous and intense.

Build fast and when cloaked produce heaps of cells as well as feed queen kit cells.

When worked they rain on me like hail stones.

A little tiresome but produce.5992eab01f6ca_IDbees.jpg.405264287904f3558a3e3c20c686fc5f.jpg

• 5 months later...
[ATTACH=full]7513[/ATTACH] Check out this black bee I saw sitting outside my hive, hope it's not looking to steal....

We have a couple of these in our hives. 1 of our hives is carni from Daykel and this hive did not have any of the black bees. The other 2 hives on our property are mixed race bees and this is where we have found the black bees just like in your picture. I think these bees have drifted in to the hive over the season.

given that there are a few people pushing to try to retain the genetic diversity in bees that we have here.... any of those people feel like seeing if they can track down some surviving AMM colonies, then taking one for the team by running a whole apiary of them? somewhere far, far away from me ideally ;)

• Like 1

I do have.The problem is to keep them pure and not crossed with italian drones.I have 4 hives in Punkaiki.2 are hybrids and2 are pure breeds.I hve a hive 6 kms,away in the foot hills in the Paparoas.Bullock creek Farm.The quenn died for some,reason and the resulting queen was a,drone,layer.I checked the hive tonight and the drones are pure black so,will,tke the nucleus with a mated black queen to B.Creek and unite.I saw no,varroa on the drones.I pulled out loads of drones and found nothing at all.So,here hoping.

• Like 4