After a few days to perfect the recipe, my wife has got it perfect:), and an excellent way to use up some of that spare honey

GINGER BEER (quick)

Half a cup of honey, melted in the microwave for about 30 seconds until easily pourable

1 1/2 teaspoons of dried ginger

1/4 teaspoon citric acid

1 d spoon lemon juice

Add all of the above into a 1.5 l plastic soft drink bottle. Fill nearly to the top with water (tepid/warm) will help speed the process up - just make sure to leave room at the top for the gas to expand into. Add 1/2 yeast. Shut lid and shake really well. Leave bottle or bottles in a warm place for min 12 hours or until bottles feel hard. It usually takes 12 hours if warm enough or up to 24 hours. Chill and serve.

Experiment with quantities to suit your taste or use fresh grated ginger. Make as many bottles at a time as you wish. Easy as :-)

• Like 4
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the freight is the killer, Bron. But I'd happily pay if it's not too dear.

The Lions clubs sometimes send boxes of lemons etc to the South and they are given to pensioners.

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...
@M4tt This recipe is great. Just tried it and hubby likes it. He is a confirmed nothing is better than bundeburg ginger beer so this is great.

It is a great way to use your spare honey........,until your supply runs out like ours just has:(

It's great you are enjoying it:)

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
Do you have any idea how long the shelf life would be?

We never keep it more than about 4 days in the fridge. Old recipe ginger beer explodes. The longer you keep it, the more you wear when you open the bottle

• 4 weeks later...
The only thing I miss about living up north is the citrus trees. I hate paying over the odds for lemons.

All the modern lemon trees you buy these-days seem to be dwarf variety not sure what the point is bigger the better (y) - I use lemon in chilled water to drink so whatever amount of lemons a tree can produce I can use :)

Ill definitely be trying this recipe particularly since you don't need to keep a ginger bug alive for the next batch so can make it now and again.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
this recipe sounds great, how much room do you leave in the top of the bottle, have you tried with anything other than ginger for flavouring?

Leave just the normal air space that soft drink bottles have.

Addicted to the ginger so have tried no other flavours yet. Any suggestions?