New Zealand Bloom Dates for 2014

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ivy flowering now, bees, hover flies and wasps going crazy on it. The flow has stopped and I have defensive bees now. It isnt as easy to just sit in front of the hive to watch the comings of bees without getting moved on quickly by a gaurd bee.

• Like 1
Yes, our Rewarewa only flowered for a few weeks last year... I was just wondering about the pohutukawa.

I saw one in Titirangi that still has flowers and looks like there are more to open. I noticed my first one in flower near the airport in June last year. Certainly an unusual flowering pattern this season.

• 2 weeks later...
Wish mine would, it is showing traits of invincibility!

Me too - we have plenty and one big one in the middle of the section... forever dropping dang leaves needing to be tidied up before I can mow. Sometimes it doesn't take long, but then there's times like this... (taken this morning - was completely cleared on Friday before I mowed)...

5992ea85b5616_cabbagetre.jpg.c8d15175cb39bb0bc9efaa6dcf0a42cd.jpg

I'd like to cut it down but its protected...

A protected cabbage tree !

Yes, we are in a landscape protection zone - covenants on all the bush. Specimen trees are noted and identified on the plans, so we would need to get approval to remove it. We had to get one removed as it was in the middle of where the house was going to be built, that required consent.

Drill some 10mm holes in it and fill them with roundup.

I do fear that this tree will suffer from some terrible unknown disease before too long - if it is dying then we can remove it no problem... of course I shall be extremely sad if that happens :whistle:

• Like 1
Yes, we are in a landscape protection zone - covenants on all the bush. Specimen trees are noted and identified on the plans, so we would need to get approval to remove it. We had to get one removed as it was in the middle of where the house was going to be built, that required consent.

I do fear that this tree will suffer from some terrible unknown disease before too long - if it is dying then we can remove it no problem... of course I shall be extremely sad if that happens :whistle:

Like the rest of us (y)

Get/borrow a pet goat. Those b*ggers will ring-bark anything.

• Like 1