tudor

Some odd bees

What do fighting ants have to do with it ?:whistle:

Hi FF

No fighting at the entrance yesterday and today things are starting to look much better. Only a very small no. of new dying bees.definately less than for the last few days. I thought i saw k wing on one bee?, but nothing really else points to nosema. Spring build up is good and no dysentry.

organosilicate wetting agent used in weed spay is a strong poss.

Hi FF

I thought i saw k wing on one bee

Do we have K wing virus in NZ does anyone know?

Do we have K wing virus in NZ does anyone know?

K-wings are usually caused by trachael mites - which we don't have here in NZ.

Nosema also reported to cause this at times.

The issue does not sound like nosema - to my mind, possibly more chronic paralysis virus (shiny dark bees and bees out the front). But if hive coming through then great.

They are curlin up dying slowly and some have tongues out. Some contort their bodies as they die.

no hairless shaky bees in any dying bees.

i think some of you still reply to the original post from august.

these (quote)are some symptoms described in the current posting and there were no photos with it.

isn't that typical poisoning symptoms @john berry & @JohnF ?

Hi John F

Thanks for info and thanks to others for great contributions

I have collected about 20 plus bees for a sample yesterday and they are in the freezer. Who do you recommend i send them to for an analyses for possible poison or nosema or virus etc.

I have noted that these bees look like they are not worn out older bees. They are not shiny dark bees or hairless. They are curled up with tongues out and wings are splayed out rather than tucked behind. Not sure exactly about k wing as only one bee has its hind wing detached a bit? Any way i can send them away for testing. Hills/ analytica?

I have treated this hive with Maqs yesterday and there are new maqs deaths which i expected but no more deaths that i saw the other day. Not a lot of mites seen on the floor yet either.

• Like 1

Sorry Julia but I haven't seen enough evidence yet of pesticide testing in bees - it's about $250 I believe and I have heard reports where the bees showed no trace of the pesticide but it was found in their honey stores. Others like @Don Mac would be better placed to comment)

Sorry for misreading thread but I agree with others - sound like poisoning, either with pesticide or the wetting agent used (again, Don has the info on that)

Doesn't sound like nosema (wouldn't see the bees out front). I would still hang on to the samples for a while - in case something rears up later in the season.

• Like 1

Thanks John

Really appreciate your time. I agree that its probably small poisoning incident with pesticide or as john berry suggested wetting agent

Just shows you that so much is out of our hands when it comes to keeping bees. :eek:

I may contact the Auckland transport/council regarding weed spraying in the area and ask more info on when and what they sprayed and if it ties in i will mention my concerns.

• Like 3

Scenic Drive in the Waitakeres was sprayed about 2 weeks ago AGAIN!!! Last spray was about 8mths ago.

• Like 2

Hi John F

Thanks for info and thanks to others for great contributions

I have collected about 20 plus bees for a sample yesterday and they are in the freezer. Who do you recommend i send them to for an analyses for possible poison or nosema or virus etc.

I have noted that these bees look like they are not worn out older bees. They are not shiny dark bees or hairless. They are curled up with tongues out and wings are splayed out rather than tucked behind. Not sure exactly about k wing as only one bee has its hind wing detached a bit? Any way i can send them away for testing. Hills/ analytica?

I have treated this hive with Maqs yesterday and there are new maqs deaths which i expected but no more deaths that i saw the other day. Not a lot of mites seen on the floor yet either.

Hi @julia C Hills laboratories do the chemical testing, give them a call. I know of two tests they do screening for different chemicals, If I remember correctly screening for over 200 different chemicals.

Scenic Drive in the Waitakeres was sprayed about 2 weeks ago AGAIN!!! Last spray was about 8mths ago.

Hi Debbie

Looks like they wait till the gorse is flowering

If you look up "Auckland Transport-weed spraying " you get a list of all the areas sprayed in September. They blanketed most of the Waitakere area by the looks. I am now seeing areas where the spray has been. Grass and onion weed browning off and gorse takes a bit longer.

• Like 1

What farmers will spray this time of the year with?

I have 3 hives near Kumeu and one hive visited something poisonous.

It looks like only the foragers were affected. Not too many dead bees in the front of the hive. No dead bees in the cells at all(no starvation).

This hive has dark bees while the other two have yellow ones. The last two are fine and strong, no problems at all.

The poisoned one has nice brood but for now is not as strong as it should be. The floor was full of dead bees.

Till today the entrances were reduced to 1-2 fingers.

I gave them all 0.5L of sugar syrup.

I collected some sample bees too.

I asked the landowner to get some info from the neighbours maybe will find out something.

DSCF9566.JPG.f290e293a70c8e15a6088e511819d542.JPG

DSCF9554.JPG.0d6c320eedcf9668928932d57fca7cca.JPG

DSCF9555.JPG.5d6dae12612d730763e609edc0cfe8b3.JPG

DSCF9557.JPG.e1dfef6cb3236bd4ffef997ccab22f74.JPG

DSCF9560.JPG.c0026ad1fd315a5e3f784864af8675b1.JPG

DSCF9554.JPG.0d6c320eedcf9668928932d57fca7cca.JPG

DSCF9555.JPG.5d6dae12612d730763e609edc0cfe8b3.JPG

DSCF9557.JPG.e1dfef6cb3236bd4ffef997ccab22f74.JPG

DSCF9560.JPG.c0026ad1fd315a5e3f784864af8675b1.JPG

DSCF9566.JPG.f290e293a70c8e15a6088e511819d542.JPG

MAQS kills some bees and leaves then dead on the floor like that, but that seems a heck of a lot and I've had enough to cover the floor, but not that bad.

Sprays? Insecticides are lethal to bees, however, not really used this time of year that I can think of. Brassicas like turnips , kale and rape get hammered by white butterfly, but that's a summer time thing .

Surfactants, added to spray, are lethal to bees if sprayed directly on them, but that kills them in the field.

Is there any Karaka flowering this time of the year?

dead bees around the hive is never a good sign and the symptoms you describe sound a bit like poisoning to me.

since it's a strong hive they hopefully will overcome it.

could be a neighbor spraying fruit trees?

Farmers will also be spraying fpr clover flea now

What farmers will spray this time of the year with?

I have 3 hives near Kumeu and one hive visited something poisonous.

It looks like only the foragers were affected. Not too many dead bees in the front of the hive. No dead bees in the cells at all(no starvation).

This hive has dark bees while the other two have yellow ones. The last two are fine and strong, no problems at all.

The poisoned one has nice brood but for now is not as strong as it should be. The floor was full of dead bees.

Till today the entrances were reduced to 1-2 fingers.

I gave them all 0.5L of sugar syrup.

I collected some sample bees too.

I asked the landowner to get some info from the neighbours maybe will find out something.

[ATTACH]14636[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]14637[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]14636[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]14637[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]14638[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]14639[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]14640[/ATTACH]

A couple of the close up shots of individual bees have tongues out, if most of them are like that I would think it is poisoning.

A couple of the close up shots of individual bees have tongues out, if most of them are like that I would think it is poisoning.

Yes it is poisoning. All dead bees had the tongues out.

Do we have a free place to send our dead/sample bees for a test? Anyone?

Freeze a sample of bees while waiting @Kiwi Bee

Unfortunately MPI is the only place that may (may!) get the bees tested - or possibly the EPA. However if only one hive then not likely to be looked at I would imagine.

Otherwise you would need to send the bees to Hills Laboratories out of your own pocket.

Ill go have alook at our chemicals we use for clover flea. And post it. Clover flea spraying starts about agust and can carry on through the spring to early summer

Clover flea spraying starts about agust and can carry on through the spring to early summer

Must be a Northland thing? I've never heard of spraying clover flea.

Must be a Northland thing? I've never heard of spraying clover flea.

Pretty sure all farmers up our way spray for it. Can be a huge problem if not sprayed. We normally spray now. And again when we lock our silage paddocks up.

Freeze a sample of bees while waiting @Kiwi Bee

Unfortunately MPI is the only place that may (may!) get the bees tested - or possibly the EPA. However if only one hive then not likely to be looked at I would imagine.

Otherwise you would need to send the bees to Hills Laboratories out of your own pocket.

Thank you @JohnF. I was afraid as Hills Lab will be the only option.

I am confident about the poisoning and only the foragers were affected. This particular hive is facing in a different direction than the other two hives(each of them are facing to a different direction on different pallets few meters apart).

I will check them in two weeks again and if there are no more dead bees in 4 weeks time then I may swap this poisoned hive with another one to balance the population(one of the three hives is very strong). I was afraid to do the swap to not affect the strong hive in a bad way and end up with two weak hives.

Pretty sure all farmers up our way spray for it. Can be a huge problem if not sprayed. We normally spray now. And again when we lock our silage paddocks up.

Thank you @dean bristow for the info. I will ask the land owner about it. I have not seen cattle in the area but I know the neighbours have sheep.

Checked the hives today. The one with poisoned bees was very strong - last time I gave to it a couple of brood frames from another hive. No signs of any problem. All bees happy.

I gave them all a small quantity of syrup.

• Like 3