Uli Knapp

Crystalized honey in frames

This weekend I harvested a super full of honey, only to realize (after I scraped the frames) that there was some crystalization. Quite a bit in fact. This now stops me from straining the honey in that the sieve blocks immediately.

I have tried warming the honey gently (to about 55 degrees) but that does not solve the problem The crystals remain even at that temperature. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Takes a while for the crystals to disolve Uli, keep it at the same temp for a few days

• Like 1

Are you in a tutu area Uli ? If so bit of a risk taking late honey off

• Like 1

You'd better read up about tutu !

our little trucks called Little toot;)

• Like 1

Heaps of crystallized honey around this year, more than I've ever seen. I think it's willow honeydew and it crystallises real quick. Tastes funny too.

• Like 2

I havent seen it myself but I have heard the same thing about willow honeydew.Stange as all honeydews I no never granulate.

Have had a bit of crystallised honey come through the plant late in season. Talking with beekeeper roughly where sites are and seems to me that they are in area where kanuka was a bit. Could be willow honey dew but as far as I know honey dew is sold as liquid form as it doesn't crystallise that easy. I maybe wrong.

Someone should send sample away for pollen analysis, if it can be identified and I guess if it's a honeydew there would not be pollen at least not from the dew if other nectar present they would be identified.

• Like 1

Our pollen analyst extraordinaire did an analysis on some late honey that the couldnt identify. It came back high in conductivity which is what is tested for when looking for dew in honey. His site was close to willows and not beech trees so assumes its honeydew from the giant willow aphid

He never mentioned he had any crystallisation though.

Ok so now we really getting the topic open, giant willow aphid aye interesting, conductivity test for dew also interesting, so now it would be good if some of those crystallised honeys could be tested.

Another thing he mentioned about the honey dew from willow is maybe the honey will have some therapeutic qualities because of the acetylsalicylic acid contained in willow bark. Apparently thats the stuff that Aspirin is made of

• Like 2

Bring me those aphids . . .

Im not sure its doing the wasps any good....the wasps I saw today on the willow looked scrawny and malnourished

• Like 1

Im not sure its doing the wasps any good....the wasps I saw today on the willow looked scrawny and malnourished

Even better

• Like 2

We have a lot of willows on our creek boundary.

They have started turning colour and have begun dropping leaves, which suggests that sap flow is now down to the roots.

I have noted that there are fewer willow aphids and wasps are now scouting out my hives. Until now the wasps have been fatout feeding on this honey dew as have the bees.

Thanks for all the answers. We have heaps of willows in the creek so I suspect that those are the culprits. I don't mind the taste. Will take a sample along to the Beekeeping Club on Saturday. My second hive produced the best honey we've ever had. No crystalization at all.

Maybe the aspirin has thinned their blood :whistle:

• Like 1