Why not try a puffer that is used for blowing out holes drilled in concrete, grease gun sized, it has a tube that would fit into the nest, very safe, but petrol is so much more fun. Then there is also the weedeater.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blow up a balloon, twist the end leaving quite a bit. Pinch off with a peg. Put end over the pipe. The blow pipe is charged and ready to go. :)

PK for more bang for your buck, how about carbide and water in that balloon and a naked flame at the end of the pipe ? :D

• Like 3
PK for more bang for your buck, how about carbide and water in that balloon and a naked flame at the end of the pipe ? :D

Funny you should say that. As a kid in Malaysia we were living in a high rise building and New Year celebration involves villagers below having fun with carbide and water lit by joss stick. Hole in the ground and a tin can above. Always trying to gauge how high the tin can travels from my high rise. There were more fun in those days than now. The world has become too pc.

I have oxyacetylene bottles and have been so wanting to do that, or balloon and spark plug. Haven't done it yet. Too many people and the SWAT team may respond too quickly.

Can you buy carbide in NZ?

• Like 2
Funny you should say that. As a kid in Malaysia we were living in a high rise building and New Year celebration involves villagers below having fun with carbide and water lit by joss stick. Hole in the ground and a tin can above. Always trying to gauge how high the tin can travels from my high rise. There were more fun in those days than now. The world has become too pc.

I have oxyacetylene bottles and have been so wanting to do that, or balloon and spark plug. Haven't done it yet. Too many people and the SWAT team may respond too quickly.

Can you buy carbide in NZ?

I made some inquiries a few years back, to re-enact my brothers trick with a golden Syrup can, spark plug, coil, carbide, water and the neighbours outdoor goldfish pond, unfortunately (or should that be fortunately) I was left minus the carbide.

Totally agree with you PK, the worlds way too PC, small explosions are a great learning experience for all ages :D

Yes you can still buy carbide in N.Z. cavers still use it instead of battery powered lights.

Would have thought it a No, No with all the soot on the stalactites. Really, where can you buy it. Good for earth quake emergency supplies!!!!

• Like 1

Oh so happy! My first venture into wasp poisoning seems to be a success.

I put carbaryl around the entrance hole (which went down between two bits of firewood in a rough stack) and sprinkled some on the fence where the wasps were landing before going down.

Wasp numbers had dropped a bit next day but then it rained. A lot. I reckon the carbaryl washed down into the nest because today there were no wasps there at all (y)