frazzledfozzle

Manuka standards

If it was going to be labelled as manuka then it should have a grade of 10 plus or 300mg/kg of methylglyoxal.

Well, in that case we will never have manuka honey down here, never mind if it's 100% collected from manuka.

• Like 1

Well, in that case we will never have manuka honey down here, never mind if it's 100% collected from manuka.

It's crazy! They need to bite the bullet and come up with a new name for "active honey" regardless of source. The term "Manuka honey" needs to be given back to the monoflora product derived from the Manuka tree. Producers are confused so consumers are confused. Well, they would be if they knew what was going on. Kiwifruit became zespri. Perhaps active honey could be known as Melvalens or anything other than Manuka. Hmmmm

• Like 1

How about " Akunam Honey"

• Like 2

How about " Akunam Honey"

Better trademark it quick! ;)

is it true that "manuka health" has been bought up by a chinese investor

There was certainly several interested Chinese parties that negotiated for it, including 2 of the last 3 bidders AFAIK.

The result was Manuka Health's owners valued it more highly than anyone else was prepared to pay...

It was the right time for them to sell:

They had many years of strong growth, and predicted continuing high growth partly due to new high-spec products.

They had just completed a factory upgrade = lots of bright, shiny stainless steel and clean factory to make a good impression on buyers.

MGO was looking like the best/only standard after the MPI Initial Standards came out. MH (ok, they said it was their distributors (but the distributors claim it was MH!)) circulated documents saying UMF was now unsupported by MPI and therefore their MGO was the only credible Manuka standard.

Since they didn't get their sell price, last we heard (3 June 2015) they were " reviewing capital-raising options", had "ruled out a public listing at this stage but chief executive Kerry Paul said it was considering other options including new investors who bring more than just capital to the table."

It is a privately held company, so do not have to communicate as much with the market and be as transparent as a public company does, so there's not a lot revealed to the media unless it's through their PR dept.

While we're talking of MH and the media, did you see what the NBR wrote about Manuka Health last week (on 3 July 2015 pgs 4 and 6)?

• Like 1

I dont know what the subject was on those pages but i found the online article on bee propolis having potential as a cancer treatment very interesting.

• Like 2

i found the online article on bee propolis having potential as a cancer treatment very interesting.

There are thousands of articles written about propolis vs cancer, but propolis flies under the medical profession's radar, partly due to its lack of homogeneity e.g. the propolis from each beehive and season is chemically different, therefore can't be standardised, therefore clinical trials may produce different results (even if they're all good results!)...so it doesn't fit 'in the box' for medical researchers, but it is still very effective against a wide range of immune and cellular issues.

Try this for a start if interested to read further: Apitherapy News: Propolis

• Like 2

I have just had some information from the umf group.They have presented to the Agriculture select committeee an insrument that measure through refraction of light the unusual properties of Manuka honey.This mchine apparently can differenciate between Manuka andKanuka.Apparently Manuka has chemicals in it that Kanuka doesnt and the chemicals can not be made by man yet.I wish I could send the,whole,article to the forum but have not worked out how to use resources yet

Ive seen the article online @Roy Arbon.

It doesnt say at what level it identifies manuka content.

Is it 30% 70% 10%?

Very vague.

Have they bothered to reply to your email regarding what their manuka standard is?

No they have not bothered to reply to me eventhough I get all the correspondence.

No they have not bothered to reply to me eventhough I get all the correspondence.

Unsurprising. I sent John Rawcliffe an email interested in discussing the pavlova problem of australian jellybush.

Not a peep.

The only time I had communication from that mob was asking us to change remove reference to their organisation.

Defending ones own patch without supporting your neighbour will lead to loss of ground.

Great wars are won with strong allies.

• Like 2