frazzledfozzle

Manuka standards

Rob Stockley submitted a new resource:

[plain]UMFHA Members Update[/plain] - [plain]UMFHA Shines Light on Manuka Honey[/plain]

As part of the ongoing roll-out of the Manuka ID project, the UMFHA unveiled a new tool for indicating whether a product is genuine Manuka Honey at a Primary Production Select Committee presentation at Parliament yesterday.

Read more about this resource...

I agree an interesting mix.It will be interesting to see what the mpi come up with in August.

I agree an interesting mix.It will be interesting to see what the mpi come up with in August.

Roy i think MPI already know what course they will take this is just a public display of democracy nothing more.

Why is a large south island packer having Kanuka labels made up?

Do beekeepers realise what could potentially happen to our industry if Manuka has to be active to be sold and packaged as Manuka?

Think about all the honey producers both new and long established who are selling their honey as Table grade Manuka with no or negligible NPA. There must be several hundred maybe more than 1000 I dont know.

Take away their markets what do you have?

You have thousands of tonnes of honey that becomes worthless.

You have reduced queen and nuc markets , you have less bee gear sales, less employment,

And more businesses going belly up.

• Like 1

Frazz at the moment there is no standard for Kanuka so he must know more than I do.Once we hve Kanuka standards that will ort the North Islnd producers out.

To change the standard saying that all manuka must hve npa is bs and I am sure would not stand up in court.This then has to go to Codex Allementarios to be rattified.My client base woud still beleive me over the regulators.Lets wait and see.

• Like 1

The government cannot back a brand. UMF is a Brand.

NPA and MGO are well defined, relatively robust facts that are measurable and reproduceable. Thus they can be standardised.

NPA is now calculated by measuring MGO.

All honey is active. That is root of the problem. The confusing label standards bamboozle the consumer. It is not misleading, but it creates confusion, which creates mistrust.

That the people on the steering committe are involved with packing and labelling is probably a good thing.

Just as with the Bee Products Standards Council.

One day I will put my hat in the ring. But first, lets add $10m to our export bottom line.

A note for frazz also. The packers and labellers do most of the marketing, and thus create the market value.

Producers are simply selling the same product they were selling 30 years ago. Because of the market focused packers, they are benefiting. And then lots more people hopped on board.

Putting the MARKET in Marketing.

• Like 1

A note for frazz also. The packers and labellers do most of the marketing, and thus create the market value.

Producers are simply selling the same product they were selling 30 years ago. Because of the market focused packers, they are benefiting. And then lots more people hopped on board.

Putting the MARKET in Marketing.

I disagree there should have a better spread of people right from the beekeeper to export

• Like 3

I disagree there should have a better spread of people right from the beekeeper to export

Agreed. Having only one side of the industry represented makes it difficult to lead to an effective standard.

A suitable standard enables Marketing and Production direction to be oriented towards the same goals.

Perhaps it would be wise for a strongly positioned member to put relevant formal motions through to BIG, FFBees and NBA to lobby for a more representative steering group structure.

If in a democracy, the people in charge are wrong, vote them out.

• Like 3

Is there a " strongly positioned" member who has concerns about the makeup of the groups ?

Or am I worried about nothing?

the Manuka honey guidelines group seems to be entirely made up of people who are heavily involved in NPA honey.

Of the 7 chosen to represent the producers and packers of all Manuka honey whether NPA or table there is only 1, being John Hartnell, who has no obvious connection to NPA honey,

everyone else has every reason in the world to make sure the standard is set on NPA levels, if your honey has no or little NPA you wont be able to sell it as Manuka no matter if you have done so for the past 40 years.

• Like 1

I think Neil Stuckey is independent too but am not sure on this.As you say the restbare npa producers except for John Hartnell.I feel the make up is quite biaswd as well.

• Like 1

I really feel that the debate is missing something.

Specifically a differentiation.

No one is arguing that there could be two standards.

For:

Manuka Honey

and for

Manuka Honey Activity

Some of the best Manuka honey I tasted only had 30mg/ kg of MGO, so it was barely a 5+. But it was delicious.

Made by Peter Bell, of Bells Bees.

If it smells like Manuka, tastes like Manuka, Has Jelly like properties, and a high pollen count, but no measurable DHA/MGO content, then it is probably able to represented as Non active manuka.

If lacks one or more of these but has significant MGO levels, it could actually be Australian Jellybush honey or another Leptospermum var.

Frazz. You are pretty outspoken on this issue, and have credibility as a producer.

Perhaps it could be you.

I think if you were to draft an open letter to Nathan Guy, as Minster for Primary Industries, and then get it proofed by some people here with supporting views, then send it out to the News Media as well as the Ministry Representatives,

You may be able to stir up some significant debate and refelection on this matter.

It pays to make a storm sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

Lovehoney i dont have the vocab to write a letter.

Im vocal but have very little in the way of the skills needed to set down things in writing in a concise and knowledgable way.

Give me a hive tool and im confident give me a pen and paper and it turns to custard very quickly:(

• Like 2

Some of the best Manuka honey I tasted only had 30mg/ kg of MGO, so it was barely a 5+. But it was delicious.

If could be that it was delicious because it only had 30mg/kg of MGO. My view, and I've heard plenty of others say, higher MGO honey doesn't taste as good as lower grade (that may be mixed with other floral types).

• Like 1

If could be that it was delicious because it only had 30mg/kg of MGO. My view, and I've heard plenty of others say, higher MGO honey doesn't taste as good as lower grade (that may be mixed with other floral types).

Some science at last. We all know that the worser the medicine tastes the betterer it must be.

I am so relieved. :)

• Like 1

Lovehoney i dont have the vocab to write a letter.

Im vocal but have very little in the way of the skills needed to set down things in writing in a concise and knowledgable way.

Give me a hive tool and im confident give me a pen and paper and it turns to custard very quickly:(

Hey Frazz, I make my living as a subeditor. I could have a crack at editing anything you wanted to write.

• Like 5

Come on Frazz dont be a whimp show people what you are made of

Any serious document should be penned by more than one person.

The Treaty of Waitangi was...

though for some reason they reverted back to a draft...

Question Time for Mr Gibbon Wakefield I suppose.

I can understand why we need standards, what I can't understand is why those that are pushing hardest for NPA manuka to be the only manuka honey are pushing sites on top of mine where we know there is no NPA . Unless of course they are adding jelly Bush honey or MGO to the mix . Rewa rewa honey is also fetching a high prices year because it has very low pollen counts and can be mixed with manuka without altering the pollen count. Let's not even mention selective filtration to remove all pollens eccept for manuka.

Manuka-kanuka honeys are indistinguishable from each other and taste the same or very similar. The only criteria I have ever used is whether the honey was jellylike or not. A far more honest approach than what some people using today.

• Like 1

If it smells like Manuka, tastes like Manuka, Has Jelly like properties, and a high pollen count, but no measurable DHA/MGO content, then it is probably able to represented as Non active manuka.

If lacks one or more of these but has significant MGO levels, it could actually be Australian Jellybush honey or another Leptospermum var.

Your last point @@Love Honey is what I was getting at in the thread I started at here - namely is our 'manuka' actually just L. scoparium or is it a range of Leptospermum species? If it is different leptospermum species as many say (plus hybrids) then yes, this would mean that if Australian honey can come into NZ in the future then the 'manuka' story could become even more confusing?

Its difficult to determine a standard if a starting definition can't be made

• Like 2

@@JohnF, analytical chemical profiling aka fingerprinting is the definitive answer of honey types. It is being done, expect results after a few months.

It removes the uncertainties other methods all have, and is what significant foreign regulators are using/moving towards.

you still have to decide if you want to include kanuka as manuka.

i also see some difficulty in establishing a standard for the fingerprint because all the regional differences in manuka.

and wouldn't you need a proven pure sample of manuka to develop the fingerprint from?

even that could be hard to establish and a point of disagreement.

don't know much about this stuff. but i'm almost as skeptic as exited to see the outcome.

Taste is a funny animal though as everyone's perception is different. Interesting point.

I can understand why we need standards, what I can't understand is why those that are pushing hardest for NPA manuka to be the only manuka honey are pushing sites on top of mine where we know there is no NPA .

This might be to do with the profitability gained through manufacture.

Specifically, if they produce a lot of 18+ in one part of the country, but do not sell lots of 18+, they may be better off mixing it with 5+ and batching it into a 10+, or a 0+ with high pollen count, and making it a 5+.

Basically, its like rum. Bottle stores don't sell lots of the high proof rum, but they do sell lots of Rum and Coke.

5+, the RTD of the Honey world.

• Like 5

And There it is in a nut shell.

The Manuka standard is not to protect the high NPA medical grade honey its entirely to protect the table grade NPA, the stuff that has no proven benefit when consumed but its the stuff thats making the money because everyone thinks that by taking it they are benefiting their health.

@@tony are you still producing medical grade honey or is their no demand for it?

• Like 2