Allergic Reaction to Bee Sting?- Advice Please

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had bad reaction 6 months in to keeping bees, didnt give up completely as I couldnt sell my second hive......got stung again and no reaction, 2 seasons later and I learned how to not get stung reguarly and now I dont have any major reactions like those first ones. I suppose that was because I bought an epipen just to be safe, it worked a treat!!

• Like 2
I had bad reaction 6 months in to keeping bees, didnt give up completely as I couldnt sell my second hive......got stung again and no reaction, 2 seasons later and I learned how to not get stung reguarly and now I dont have any major reactions like those first ones. I suppose that was because I bought an epipen just to be safe, it worked a treat!!

My doctor told me if an epipen was needed you shld have already called the ambo. Do you use it the minute you get stung or just if you start to feel funny.

ive been keeping bees as a hobby for 2 years and cant get enough wish id started sooner.as for stings if you are allergic to bee stings you dont start do you

Yes we do ...

In my case I had a full on anaphylactic reaction to Bee venom some 30 yrs earlier, having in the intervening years then survived the Scuba Diving, parachuting, flying anything that took to the Air, paragliding and a whole lot of other things that my Mum was sure was going to kill me, I figured I was now bullet proof and decided it was time to keep bees, much to the disgust of the now aged mother.

The most recent trip to A&E, the other week, after possibly sting number 13 (or so) over the last two years, brought many I told you so's from both Mum and the Missus, and also dented my bullet proof status, being stubborn and having a fist full of pills and an Epipen, we shall see where to next, by the sound of Dave's stats I've only got to make it another 12 mths and I can get bored and move onto something safer like Lion taming or Crocodile wrestling .........

• Like 2
Thats an interesting statistic Dave - is it measure or casual observation?

I agree with what @@deejaycee is saying. I don't know of anyone keeping statistics, but I can tell you between 1994 and 2003 I would have seen between 20 and 50 complete beginners go through theory and practical classes each year and that's what we found. We brought in a second stream of teaching to mentor them through years three and four with reasonable success. There were many reasons, lifestyle changes for one, but at about that point beekeeping is less of an adventure, and more complex. The casual 'my father did it' and 'I'm saving nature' crowd begain to re-evaluate their reason for doing it, and found the reward was not as they expected.

Dee's remarks about the social nature are particularly interesting, I'll think about that (which is not to say I disagree).

• Like 2
Yes we do ...

In my case I had a full on anaphylactic reaction to Bee venom some 30 yrs earlier, having in the intervening years then survived the Scuba Diving, parachuting, flying anything that took to the Air, paragliding and a whole lot of other things that my Mum was sure was going to kill me, I figured I was now bullet proof and decided it was time to keep bees, much to the disgust of the now aged mother.

The most recent trip to A&E, the other week, after possibly sting number 13 (or so) over the last two years, brought many I told you so's from both Mum and the Missus, and also dented my bullet proof status, being stubborn and having a fist full of pills and an Epipen, we shall see where to next, by the sound of Dave's stats I've only got to make it another 12 mths and I can get bored and move onto something safer like Lion taming or Crocodile wrestling .........

Hahahahah, adrenaline Junkie!

Hahahahah, adrenaline Junkie!

I think subconsciously there's an element of that in bee keeping, it's quite a buzz (pun intended) holding a frame packed with Bees, knowing any one could do the damage, a bit like parachuting, I think it should be compulsory to both jump out of a perfectly good plane and also hold a frame bulging with Bees at least once in a lifetime ....

I will skip on jumping from the plane. Paragliding was all I could handle and I doubt I would do it again. Even the quiet, gentle float down filled me with terror, although I could appreciate how lovely it should have been.

You have to learn to appreciate the nuances of how wind flows over ridges and outs crops on cliffs and enjoy the lift or the turbulence when it's encountered, the disappointment when you miss the lift or the elation as you catch a thermal or ridge lift, it's magical stuff, it's the closest thing to being a bird in the sky, makes you realise us Humans are severely limited in our simple abilities ....

You have to learn to appreciate the nuances of how wind flows over ridges and outs crops on cliffs and enjoy the lift or the turbulence when it's encountered, the disappointment when you miss the lift or the elation as you catch a thermal or ridge lift, it's magical stuff, it's the closest thing to being a bird in the sky, makes you realise us Humans are severely limited in our simple abilities ....

We should go base jumping together! LOL, wife may not let me, but if I sneak away and don't tell her.......:cautious:

Got stung on my middle finger during the weekend. It wasn't not my first sting and I had absolutely NO reaction to the others.

Well, I got stung on the pad of my finger. I got it out immediately but it hurt like s***. Apart from my finger throbbing like a priest's p****, I felt fine.

When I woke up the next a.m, I was greeted with a tight puffy achy hand. Not the most attractive thing, I can tell you.

Went to the chemist and got some anti-histamine tablets. My hand has gone down now, it's still tingling sensitive to touch but apart from that, all good.

I reckon I was just unlucky and got a bee who had a big tail-full of venom.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All, Thanks for the comments and feedback to my original post. Interesting comments and appreciate responses. So to wrap up this thread I thought I would let you know the outcome. I went to the doctor to seek advise and what I had was and allergic reaction as opposed to an anaphylactic reaction. The next sting will determine if I have built immunity or am at risk of worse reaction. Comforting information that. I dont intend to give up bee keeping (agree with Vincent comments) so have a plan in place to manage outcomes. (Agree with Gary.)

1) avoid getting stung in critical places !! So now suiting up and learnt the lesson (bees are great teachers eh!)

2) have 2 strength doses of antihistamines on hand and in kit

3) if antihistamines dont work have high level steroids in kit and Epipen, and off to hospital!!

4) dont attend bees alone or out of doctors hours, and have a warning system to notify partner.

• Like 4