Making Box Handholds

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mission achieved. Made a simple dansar jig on the table saw, with movement both longways and across, so I get a longer handle, like the bought ones

[ATTACH=full]5266[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]5267[/ATTACH]

That is exactly how I do my hand holds, they look identical(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

• Like 1
It would be great in the composting toilet at our beach house. I like to chuck a handful of wood shavings in after each use. But @@Trevor Gillbanks why is it no good on the garden? Or in the compost? Or on the chook house floor?

Mac does not decompose like pine and other woods. It has natural oils in it that give it it's smell (this the animals do not like). I think (No evidence) that those same oils prevent the natural bacteria and microbs from composting the shavings. I only use pine shavings in my composting or garden.

I have a massive pile of chipped macrocarpa left by the local power company after they cleared the lines on our road. It is in use on the garden and on the driveway but the rest of the pile is composting faster than I can use it. Maybe it's the mix of green and brown that is helping it compost.

@Kiwimana

Nice looking write up, though you seem to have 540mm as the cutting length for the box sides.

Not sure where you got 540mm from I cut to 485mm for my sides.

Thanks Shaun, yep I think that is a typo. I will fix when I get back to home base...Gary

Mac does not decompose like pine and other woods. It has natural oils in it that give it it's smell (this the animals do not like). I think (No evidence) that those same oils prevent the natural bacteria and microbs from composting the shavings. I only use pine shavings in my composting or garden.

What about bees? Are they ok with the smell, I've just made a heap of boxes out of mac. I used mac cause it lasts longer than pine, hope they are ok

What about bees? Are they ok with the smell, I've just made a heap of boxes out of mac. I used mac cause it lasts longer than pine, hope they are ok

Yep, Ideal for bee boxes. Just make sure you predrill all your nails and screws as the wood can crack. mac is wonderful to work and such a pretty looking finished product.

• Like 2
  • 4 months later...