Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Paul Jenkin

Archive Building top feeders

In previous years I haven't had to feed my bees much, but this year the weather has been so downright crap that I'm going to have to if my bees are going to survive. So yesterday I picked up some feeder frames from a woodworker chap in the club ($5 each), he misjudged the amount of timber needed, so I've only got 9 so far, but will get a tenth sometime soon. Ray at Beetek sent me some plastic top feeders (and some plastic foundation for making drone frames like the ones kiwimana uses). This morning I got the 9 frames assembled in some down time from work. [IMG]http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h245/Legionc/Beekeeping/Feeders1.jpg[/IMG] A coat of paint this morning before leaving for work, and then another tonight [IMG]http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h245/Legionc/Beekeeping/Feeders2.jpg[/IMG] Add a plastic feeder and viola [IMG]http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h245/Legionc/Beekeeping/Feeders3.jpg[/IMG] Sorry about the average photography. I was using my phone to take the photos. Still to come are some of Hive Doctor Stu's feed protectors, but I'll be getting them on the hives tomorrow anyway, and putting some syrup in to keep them going. Two new mated queens arriving on Monday, so I'm hoping I can get into my hives this weekend. I've got two which may or may not have queens, so I'll be checking those, and if they have laying queens I'll be splitting them. If not, they'll get requeened. Two more are set to get taken away to new homes at some stage too.

[quote name='Matt']Thats a nice workbench Paul.[/quote] Thanks Matt, I finally got it built about 6 months ago (had the vice sitting waiting for it for a year before that). It certainly makes life easier. This was the first time I've been able to use the vice when making bee boxes, and it meant I was able to get all my corners nailed up square a lot more accurately. Trying to hold things there would always be something that moved just as you drove the nail in... Not looking promising for doing inspections today. Apparently we're not allowed to talk about the weather on election day though as it might influence your vote :P

[quote="Paul Jenkin, post: 1845, member: 7"]In previous years I haven't had to feed my bees much, but this year the weather has been so downright crap that I'm going to have to if my bees are going to survive. [/quote] Great photo essay Paul! I like your improvised painting jig :) Grant, can more of this be encouraged? Bandwith and server restrictions allowing of course.

[quote name='Graham']Great photo essay Paul! I like your improvised painting jig :) Grant, can more of this be encouraged? Bandwith and server restrictions allowing of course.[/quote] Most definitely, I would encourage any form of content. Photo, video, standard and proven, new and controversial. And if you guys can give me a space and bandwidth headache, then so much the better.....but you'll have to go some :p

[quote name='Graham']Great photo essay Paul! I like your improvised painting jig :) Grant, can more of this be encouraged? Bandwith and server restrictions allowing of course. [/quote] I stole the idea from someone elses blog (possibly kiwimana's). It worked well. Normally I used the panel stand that the broom handle is resting on, and then stack them on sawhorses, but that means picking up and moving painted boxes a lot. I would have used thumbnails, but it wasn't immediately obvious how to do it with photobucket. The weather is looking good now that I'm back from town. Have just screwed all the feeders down into their frames, sugar syrup made last night has cooled, so as soon as I'm done with brunch I'll be out in the hives.

[quote="Paul Jenkin, post: 1857, member: 7"] I would have used thumbnails, but it wasn't immediately obvious how to do it with photobucket. [/quote] Does this help? [url]http://www.nzbees.net/forum/threads/uploading-images-to-posts-and-topics.194/[/url] I didn't include remote hosted images because they can cause problems later on if/when they get deleted etc

oh dear my workshop is a bit second rate compared to yours Paul,its a truck shed minus the truck,I build all my boxes from scatch,the shavings either used around dog kennels or flower and vege garden,I prefer old sacking for smoker fuel. [attachment=959:name]

[quote name='bbm']oh dear my workshop is a bit second rate compared to yours Paul,its a truck shed minus the truck,I build all my boxes from scatch,the shavings either used around dog kennels or flower and vege garden,I prefer old sacking for smoker fuel.[/quote] I usually leave some shavings around the place, though not quite as much as you've got. It soaks up any moisture and stops all the gear rusting :D What breed is your sawbench? Looks suspiciously like my Wadkin Bursgreen (still to be finished repairing to working condition).

its an old dyco paul from my building days,good bench they are.

[quote name='bbm']its an old dyco paul from my building days,good bench they are.[/quote] My father has a 10" Dyco, very good machine. His has had a fair bit of modification done to it though to extend the size of the top considerably, and the fence bar to suit. I'm really hoping to get mine up and running soon. It opens up so many more possibilities than a skil saw. Trademe thicknesser is arriving this weekend, and collecting lathe and bandsaw from the SI at Christmas, then I just have to get onto a source of cheap timber and I'll be making my own gear :D

timber in pic is 10x1 rs merch grade pine kiln dried $2.50/m from saw mill,I try an grade it a bit by useing rough bits for the top feeder frames and top mat frames,overall it's good grade anyway.

Just to add to the discussion - I also built a couple of feeders recently out of old macrocarpa 100x 25mm that had been sitting out in the paddock for several years so they didnt look as flash as yours, But I did place the Hive Doctors feeder boxs in the tray - all I can say is they work really well. No mess and no dead bees. Also when you open the box the bees are contained within the feeder - so there is no need for a vale or gloves etc

[quote name='Haydon']Just to add to the discussion - I also built a couple of feeders recently out of old macrocarpa 100x 25mm that had been sitting out in the paddock for several years so they didnt look as flash as yours, But I did place the Hive Doctors feeder boxs in the tray - all I can say is they work really well. No mess and no dead bees. Also when you open the box the bees are contained within the feeder - so there is no need for a vale or gloves etc[/quote] I think Stu will be giving you commissions soon ;)

Credit where credit is due - before them I went to find bracken to place in the trays and got a nasti stinging nettle sting for my trouble - so I am a fan ! Isnt the world interesting when keeping bees the sting comes from a plant and not a bee !

Hi, I noticed that you do not paint the top and bottom edge of the boxes. ie only the outside four edges. Is that right? cheers Devito

[quote name='devito']Hi, I noticed that you do not paint the top and bottom edge of the boxes. ie only the outside four edges. Is that right? cheers Devito[/quote] Hi Devito, Correct, I found if the top and bottom edges are painted, they end up glueing themselves together in a big way, the same on all my boxes etc.

[quote name='bbm']oh dear my workshop is a bit second rate compared to yours Paul,its a truck shed minus the truck,I build all my boxes from scatch,the shavings either used around dog kennels or flower and vege garden,I prefer old sacking for smoker fuel. [ATTACH]150[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]148[/ATTACH][ATTACH]149[/ATTACH][/quote] jellous.you have a thicknesser !I am having trouble holding back the green eyed monster:)

[quote="Paul Jenkin, post: 2122, member: 7"]My father has a 10" Dyco, very good machine. His has had a fair bit of modification done to it though to extend the size of the top considerably, and the fence bar to suit. I'm really hoping to get mine up and running soon. It opens up so many more possibilities than a skil saw. Trademe thicknesser is arriving this weekend, and collecting lathe and bandsaw from the SI at Christmas, then I just have to get onto a source of cheap timber and I'll be making my own gear :D[/quote] Paul - talk to kiwi lumber dannevirke - 06 374 4600 ask for Shane Thomas and he may be able to help you out, they sometimes have down fall from machining (Special grade) that is excellent for hive boxes etc.

just to maybe help with the paint sticking problem, gloss paints are worse the glossier they get the sticker they get can be a real pain one thing we do when we do hundreds of boxs before stacking we rub with rag with food grade mineral oil, its another job but sure helps.

[attachment=2165:name] here is one of the hive doctor stu 's feed protectors they work great ,putting then on as we work of hive and find that the bracken it getting low on not much left they fix over the centre cone in the top feeder

they seam to work ok. we have got some for this season. they also fit on other brand feeders. not to sure about the little tags at the bottom. they can be bent/broken to allow bees to get into the feeder, which may or may not be a good thing. one catch is hive needs to be level. i like the old style feeders where bees come in at the front.

[quote name='tristan']they seam to work ok. we have got some for this season. they also fit on other brand feeders. not to sure about the little tags at the bottom. they can be bent/broken to allow bees to get into the feeder, which may or may not be a good thing. one catch is hive needs to be level. i like the old style feeders where bees come in at the front.[/quote]We bend one of the little tag up so they can get the the last of the sugar if the hive is not level ,

Must be the latest version - mine are the core flute type - eitherway they work really well - tidy and no drowned bees or messy bracken

[quote name='Haydon']Must be the latest version - mine are the core flute type - eitherway they work really well - tidy and no drowned bees or messy bracken[/quote] Yep they are stu got sick folding up the core flute