I have been looking on the net at info on warre hives and it looks like a neat hive. How do other people find them and if you do splits, is there much of a demand for that size. Is it a universal size?

I ask that because a. I need to sell a nuc or two to pay for this hobby and b. If I'm to do splits which inevitably I will have to I don't want to have to buy a whole lot of new hives each time.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would recommend to stay with one type of hive if you want to sell nucs and interchange gear between your hives. I don't think there are many people in NZ who have a Warre hive although I must admit, I am thinking about building one myself ;-). They are just so cute!

they are not a standard size as such. smaller boxes than langstroth, square instead of rectangle.

so narrow but tall. a lot more natural than top bar or long hives.

i really do like the ventilation setup.

What I liked about the idea was the no intereference. You just set up a couple of boxes under the brood box and leave them too it. Although I guess you could do that with regular supers too.

Yes you still have to inspect them like any of the hives we are allowed to manage.

I decided we would get one just for a point of difference, don't bother stick with a Langstroth, so much simpler.

Like any hive, it is better to have two or 3 to share resourses. I am down to one Warre at the moment and it maybe domed if it doesnt have a queen that has just mated or will be soon. I dont have any more bees and brood on Warre frames., But what I can do is add a fully drawn Warre frame to my Langstroth and get it laid in. I have really enjoyed keeping bees in the Warre style hives I have made.