Roger

Comments on Hive Doctor Nucs

Yes I agree the first ones, three years old, were not all that great and did not support the frames..I agree and apologize but re-tooled and sorted now.

No need to apologize Stu, they did what i needed them to do, good to see your products developing.

How was conference for you?

• Like 1

No need to apologize Stu, they did what i needed them to do, good to see your products developing.

How was conference for you?

Hi Tony,

I gained a heap from the conference cemented some relations ships with some great people which I'm pretty sure is what some of it is about. I was also fortunate to meet a few knowledgeable and open minded beekeepers who provided me invaluable information with regards to developing the new multi-nuc box...cant wait to get two seconds to complete it now...

An impressive amount of trade stands, and a reasonable number of beekeepers and looks like we are close to really fighting to keep our bees going like they have been...

• Like 3

We love our hive doctor nucs they suit our operation perfectly have got another 100 on order :)

• Like 1

Probably no different to anyone else Trevor. We use them for queen mating, nuc sales, splits and for weakening off hives in pollination by pulling a couple of frames of brood and bees out of strong hives and replacing with foundation.

I like them because they are easy to make up are very light and can be shut in at a turn of a dial.

We used to use wooden nuc boxs for our nucs we sell but so many never got returned or took months to come back. With these we sell them with the price of the nuc included with a full refund if returned undamaged

• Like 1

@frazzledfozzle All good. It was just how you said it suits your operation I was wondering if you were doing something else.

Yes, I like them to sell bees in also. No hassles.

I love my HD nuc boxes. But a word of caution. I had wasp trouble so reduced the entrance to half in the weaker nucs. I saw three today with no bees coming and going, the entrance was blocked from the inside with a bumble bee.

I suppose that's one way to keep the wasps out!

• Like 1

I love my HD nuc boxes. But a word of caution. I had wasp trouble so reduced the entrance to half in the weaker nucs. I saw three today with no bees coming and going, the entrance was blocked from the inside with a bumble bee.

I suppose that's one way to keep the wasps out!

Oh a big bum does come in use occasionally :what::rofl:

Tell me about it :x3:

• Like 1

Not often :(

@@yesbut , you hijacking the thread again? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

But you are right, the spacing between the top of the frames and the lid is too tight.

@@Stu, As in the first pic, the bees got that space all glued up!

These boxes are great for transport though! (y)

Hi All,

With regards to the 'too tight' issue I am happy to report my new box design has arrived and we have increased the strength by 50%, end length by 5mm and made it much wider so it can no fit 6 frames (at a push!) or 4 frames and a 55mm wide 3.5 litre internal feeder!

Will explain with pictures soon.

Cheers

• Like 2

Gosh thats really good news Stu Im particularly pleased about the increase in length it used to drive me nuts when the bottom of the two frames in the middle always hooked up on the lip of the end vent.

Making them wider is a bit more problematic as we sell 4 frame nucs not five and the gap has to be plugged up, now with that gap being bigger......

here's a new product idea for you @Stu , a DIY cutting die/press so we can make our own boxes out of old real estate signs..:lol:lol:lol

here's a new product idea for you @Stu , a DIY cutting die/press so we can make our own boxes out of old real estate signs..:lol:lol:lol

Haven't you made yours yet? Keep up!

@Stu I put a strip of clear plastic on top of the frames to prevent the lid sticking.

I actually source this from the recycle bin at a bed shop.

This is the only gripe I've had, although I don't use them as much as commercials.

In the instructions I show a small strip of carboard in a 'V' that plugs the gap and is a two second job to make at no cost..or Plug it with a $2 frame? If your getting great $$ for the nuc a $2 plug is a pretty cheap option? The other benefit of inserting a spare frame is there is more volume for the bees to expand into if the bees get stressed while traveling plus location to store honey if the new owners don't get to it quickly...or sell it with an internal feeder and recover the cost in the sale?

The new box design now have seam sealed edges for insulation and are able to be clipped together to stop them tipping over plus have rotating queen excluders in the base...will need to get a video together to explain the excluders as some of the larger commercial guys helped me develop the nucs to make two nucs from a hive with very little effort....

I test all my products pretty vigorously and in real world commercial beekeeping terms and like to see where the failures are coming from before customers do so I can rectify issues before I make new runs of product....hence I am onto version 5 of the nuc box now...To date I have run the same 200+ nuc boxes for 3 years now and apart from the odd Velcro dot falling off and split end where I forced a frame out using the side of the box rather than prying off the frame and they are still looking good and have a few more years in them so interested to know what has gone wrong? As all beekeepers do things differently i need feedback to improve and if I don't get feedback I cant fix it.

Appreciate your help

The new boxes have a few more options that I need to explain in a video...

Awesome mate, when will the video be coming out, and when will we be able to buy the boxes? Similar price to the old ones?

I don't have your email address.

@Stu

Hi Stephen,

Just going through emails etc now...did you still need my email? info@hivedoctor.com.

Cheers

I don't have your email address.

Hi Stephen,

contact me at:

info@hivedoctor.com

Making 3000 nucs (old style) now and will have 1500 in Australia so you can pull stock from this.

Cheers

Stu

• Like 1

Hi @Stu are you still making the old style four frame nucs?

Hate to say it but after giving the new ones a good go we really prefer the smaller older version.

Dont you just hate whingers!!