M4tt

Caged Virgin Queen Experiment

A couple of days ago when I was removing surplus capped queen cells from a split, Mr 10 (avid young beekeeper) insisted on collecting a couple of the cells and putting them in a jar in the chicken incubator. Well, yesterday, one hatched and proceeded to start tearing into the other cell. She was promptly removed, but had a deformed wing, so got despatched. The next cell has hatched this morning, so Wife quickly made up some queen candy, and I pinched 10 bees out of a hive and put them in the queen cage with her. A couple of hours later, they all seem quite happy with each other. Todays project is to make up a nuc box for them so I had better get o with it........

• Like 5

Progress so far5992ea6cecacf_2013-10-2410_45_20.jpg.300e4c39cf1e77c42f9b655c5e0acbb5.jpg

• Like 2

From an old Pallot to a ventilated nuc floor...........

5992ea6cf212e_2013-10-2410_48_05.jpg.bcad607b88177e47d7b6b1ef50008c46.jpg

5992ea6d02420_2013-10-2412_01_24.jpg.e49bf6b189cfec620b9b598f6abe6e6b.jpg

• Like 4

That's the easy parts done. Now the roof:D

Um, I bought that. Metal work is not my thing

Just go to your nearest sheetmetal shop buy a slightly bigger than roof sized piece of flat sheet and bash the edges

over to form a weather drip. Secure with rock/brick/lump of concrete

Just go to your nearest sheetmetal shop buy a slightly bigger than roof sized piece of flat sheet and bash the edges

over to form a weather drip. Secure with rock/brick/lump of concrete

Notch the corners then "bash" the edges over. Use a big hammer because it doesn't take as long.:D

• Like 2

I prefer not to notch before bashing, that way you retain full waterproofing at the corners. Doesn't look very professional but as a professional I can assure you it is !

• Like 1

This screwing your boxes idea looks very pretty, but I'm sure you'd enjoy banging away with an Air Stapler much more ......

• Like 3

for lids: you could grab the old offset aluminum plates from your friendly local printer (i.e. work) and get partner to bend them and glue em up, works a treat for me!

And a little while later..............

5992ea6d0669c_2013-10-2415_50_41.jpg.92328de7c8bda3cec922a539bbd32a04.jpg

Then the new inhabitants pinched from another hive, with the active 10 hour old Queen, in cage with attendants, placed in a frame of donated brood, candy upwards............5992ea6d0b152_2013-10-2416_06_17.jpg.cdf749924950e9fa8f4e57397406eae6.jpg

Matchsticks placed under the hivemat for ventilation, along with the ventilated floor. The bee entrance will be blocked for 2 days ................5992ea6d0ebdc_2013-10-2416_10_47.jpg.b46ed628b3608991f20846a9fa8c0597.jpg

And finally sited in its new position. I will check the queen cage in three days to make sure the queen is released and then she will be soon ready to fly...........This is yet another @@tony older queen daughter5992ea6d14bb9_2013-10-2416_11_49.jpg.c765c581c971a158ba258008d97364f3.jpg

• Like 3

And a happy Mr 10 transferring the frames from one of his hives.....5992ea6d19674_2013-10-2416_04_13.jpg.45e784959e6c68e5cc4d27482ac3aed5.jpg

• Like 3

Why the frowns ?

People always say to me I look grumpy, I am not grumpy, I take everything I do serious. It looks like Mr10 takes his bees serious!

Where did you buy the lid? last time I tried to get some from ceracell they wanted me to but the whole kit--cheers

Where did you buy the lid? last time I tried to get some from ceracell they wanted me to but the whole kit--cheers

Farmlands Hamilton or directly from Ecroyds. I particularly like their lids. Tidy and hold the weight of the boxes

• Like 1

Today, the 2 day old new queen is out of her cage and mingling amongst the bees. I got a photo, but not good enough to post. Got her shiny backside sliding in underneath the bees. They are obviously happy with her as they are not behaving like they are queenless. A few more days and she should fly

Released 1 surviving virgin queen(out of 4) that was caged for 19 days in a queenless nuc. Quite surprised to see she was well fed and still moving quite fast. Time will tell if she would still mate.

• Like 1

Please keep us informed on that PK I would be interested to hear.

And a little while later..............

[ATTACH=full]4941[/ATTACH]

Then the new inhabitants pinched from another hive, with the active 10 hour old Queen, in cage with attendants, placed in a frame of donated brood, candy upwards............[ATTACH=full]4942[/ATTACH]

Matchsticks placed under the hivemat for ventilation, along with the ventilated floor. The bee entrance will be blocked for 2 days ................[ATTACH=full]4943[/ATTACH]

And finally sited in its new position. I will check the queen cage in three days to make sure the queen is released and then she will be soon ready to fly...........This is yet another @@tony older queen daughter[ATTACH=full]4944[/ATTACH]

Awesome @@M4tt . What is the width of the nuc box ends? I make mine 240mm wide (same as the depth of the box) as I like a bit more room on the sides of the frames so I dont "roll" the bees on the frames or I can spread the frames and pick out a middle frame. I make ply or wooden lids.

Awesome @@M4tt . What is the width of the nuc box ends? I make mine 240mm wide (same as the depth of the box) as I like a bit more room on the sides of the frames so I dont "roll" the bees on the frames or I can spread the frames and pick out a middle frame. I make ply or wooden lids.

The box width is 222 mm to fit snugly into the preformed lid I bought. The wood is only 19 mm thick , so there is adequate room in there. I could not source any 22 mm wood, which would have almost been too tight for 5 frames and 25 mm would have definitely only taken 4 frames. The 19 mm is a bit too thin I feel. Ok for a Nuc but not a FD box. Got to get the screw placement exactly right

I made my nuc using 10mm for the side wall giving ample room. No rebates on the end walls. Just glued and brads.

I checked the queen a few days ago. She is still there, but looks unmated.

Open up a hive late Sun and found four frames with swarm cells. I placed these frames in a nuc box so I can re-organize the brood frames. One frame had an open queen cell and thus surprised that the rest were not torn down.

While putting the frames with Q cells back, discovered I had damage most of the Q cells(grub stage). The last frame to my surprised, the Q had just emerged and I found her. As it was late and not prepared as to what next, placed her in a cage with young bees, put in a spacer box and cage on top between frames. Another caged virgin queen experiment. Hoping this will survive for 7 days. Will sort out a split this weekend now that I have made 6 nuc boxes. This year, I am witnessing more hatching Q cells.

• Like 1

Looks like the queen did not come back from her flight. I have introduced a frame of eggs from another hive