BUMBLEBEE NEST FOR REMOVAL

Have been contacted by a friend of an elderly lady in Glenfield who has a bumblebee nest outside her front door and is hoping someone can remove it alive.

It is (she says) easy to get at, living in a slightly raised mound of dry vegetable type matter in a flower garden, with the odd bee coming and going so probably early in it's lifecycle.

If anyone wants to do this we'll exchange her details privately. I can also give advice how to collect the nest although I'm not prepared to go there myself pretty busy right now.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick Update, Bumble Bees and nest was collected with gloved hands complete with dry nesting material and put into a Hive Dr Nuc and left on site till dark with one of the vents popped out as an entrance.

Once it was dark, vent was popped back in to plug the hole and Nuc box full of Bumble Bees bought home. Wouldn't hazard a guess on how many were in the nest, but a lot more than we expected.

Couple of points of interest, it needs to be pitch black not just dusk before they'll stop flying and it's just amazing how much noise comes from a corflute Nuc full of stirred up Bumble Bees. Also impressed by just how small baby Bumbles Bees are, nothing but a tiny furry dot, probably not much bigger than a honey Bees head.

• Like 4

i have been always keen on getting one of thos there awesome to watch but the nests only live for i think 6 - 8 months then a new queens is born and roams around bye her self then finds a nest and starts laying she is self suporting for a few moths until some of which her young brood helps her raise more Ect and it cycles :P

• 3 months later...

Bumble bee nest removal

Hi

I stumbled across a forum discussion (Bumble Bee Nest For Removal) when doing a google search on how best to remove a bumble bee nest without resorting to sprays. In October 2013 @@Alastair and @@johnhi30 arranged for the successful removal of a nest in Glenfield, Auckland where I also live. Its a bit of a stretch but can you see if "johnhi30" or someone else would be able to remove my nest as well? I have contractors in to remove some bamboo on my property and they have stopped work due to the bees and I really do not want to have to spray them so that the work can continue. I love having the bees around so if possible can they be relocated somewhere close.

Contact number supplied

Thanks!

Daimon

Somewhat related, but do all bumblebee nests stink? An orchard we had hives on had some of the ones that Farmlands were selling as an experiment, and the inside smelt terrible, like rotting meat or something, not at all like a beehive.

Have had a couple in Hive Dr Nuc boxes this summer and can't say that I've ever noticed an odor however they certain don't have the complexity of smells that a beehive does ....