Janice

Red honey in Utah

“Red” honey is turning up in commercial hives in multiple counties in Utah, causing losses already in the tens of thousands of dollars for business owners and prompting a state investigation.

State inspectors Wednesday said it is believed a yet-to-be-named large beekeeping operation began “open-feeding” bees with a concoction of crushed, rehydrated candy canes and other candy materials. Other bees discovered the caches and returned contaminated to surrounding bee yards.

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=26722269&nid=148

Awesome in its extreme stupidity, poor bees fancy being genetically modified by a candy cane:sick:

The mind boggles indeed. Fancy all those university scientists needing all that lab gear to do it.

we have had red, yellow, green honey before. i understand its from farmers feeding lollies to stock. unfortunately the bees get stuck to the sticky lollies.

I bet that's not good for the manuka market.

i would think coloured sugar would be easy to spot and be removed so it didn't contaminate the honey. that would be good for the manuka market.

i know a beek here who feeds his bees with that lolly stuff.

he once sold me some hives. half a year later you could still smell the lolly aroma.

considering that there are a few hundred artificial flavors and colorings in that lolly sirup,

i find it surprising that you can feed it to bees and stock and why would you in the first place?

Dad says he used to feed seconds lolly like dry sugar to his the bees, and he would get all different colours of honey. I don't think it would hurt them, probably couldn't sell the honey, but you could use it as feed honey. Open feeding is that terrible idea though, as it can spreads disease.