Beehaven

Wow get a look at this Wax Foundation Mangle

I collect useful things. It's not a bad thing :D

Binky isn't mine :) she's MB's. she's at the tool shop getting her tummy looked at :) they might resurrect her coz they're cleverer than me, then she will be Edgar-Binky.

• Like 1

She's really old that's all I know.

Yes. Any that means she was build before all the cheapo's came onto the market. It is well worth getting it repaired as it will be better and more powerful than the modern one.

• Like 1

A handle could be made at home. I am assuming the thread end is where the handle goes? Or as Janice said earlier the wringer machines used same mech. But if you hunt around some good second hand shops you MAY be lucky enough to find a hand wringer. They look just like that but smooth rollers. I would say maybe someone has made the rollers to fit a manual wringer. My Nana had one VERY similar. As for handle, if not to worried about original. get a handle with a large nut end and drill it out as I would say that thread is BSA and drill a hole for a cotter pin right through. Just a thought.

The diameter (OD) of the thread spindle is 14.7mm including the thread. The thread is quite chunky at 2mm centres. So in metric terms the thread is M14.7 x 2. Whatever that converts to in imperial I don't know.

Old BSA British Standard Association size.

Did you get this old machine up and running?

No not yet. Just have not been focussed on it. I will get there eventually. My super preference is to find an original handle just so that it is complete/original.

• Like 1

Congratulations. You are now New Zealand's small cell foundation supplier ;)

Very cool and you are located in the Waitakere Ranges :), all you need is a handle..

Wow its a work of art isn't it...

I have found afoundation mill that dates back to the early 1900s.It is complete.I will take my wax dipper down and see if it is 4.9 or larger.It is in Ross.

• Like 2

I doubt it.It is a family heir loom.

• Like 1

Well we finally got it sorted. Despite many enquiries with regard to finding an original handle (long shot ay!) we had a sculptor friend make us one. So we are now able to go into PRODUCTION. Could be a lot of fun. After we have harvested this years honey and the winter sets in it seems like a good time to give it a go.

• Like 1

From experience I found the best time to roll out coundation is the summer as the wax is at a warmer temperature.