New Zealand Bloom Dates for 2013

Nothing much flowering here at all, or just not enough anyway. Started feeding my splits 2:1 water to sugar syrup. They have almost eaten all their supplies. Just not enough fine calm days either. One hive assumed I was there to rob them and flew into defence mode, but quickly started sucking up what I had given them

Plant flax, cabbage trees and lavender along your fence-lines Matt - my bees are raking it in at the moment - cabbage trees and lavender have been in full swing for a while now, and the flax is just starting.

• Like 1
  • Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bees are loving my lavender which are doing really well this year (only planted last year, about 20 of them), and surprisingly enough all the flower heads on the garlic chives are getting a good going over by the bees and the bumbles as well

• Like 1
yeap, I like to have variety so have about 3 or 4 types here. they are really like the italian/spanish sort with the big heads and frilly bits at the top

Agree with you Rashika. I planted alot of lavender down our fence line. The bees definately prefer the spanish type as you describe it.:)

The French variety still gets some attention while the English have not even crossed the start line yet. Typical:cool::rofl:

• Like 1
It is some times Yesbut.No honestly when every thing lines up it is a great place for beekeeping.We get Kamahi and Wesland,Quintinia every year.We get Southern Rata once every 4 to 5 years.I do not know any whre you can get a yield of 50 plus kgs per hive of one variety of honey.
Urban Auckland has the yield but it's multi-flora though if you were careful you could remove the boxes as capped and run through the various flows...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't have any pretty pictures but we are in for a big season down here in the south. I have never seen such a heavy flowering. Cabbage trees, flax, Kamahi and just everything is going nuts. Some of my bees are into a third super already and this time last year they were just starting in there first one. The first of the clover is starting to appear but is still a couple of weeks away from a flow. I cant wait to see the Rata in flower, if it follows suit it will be spectacular.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...