New Zealand Bloom Dates for 2013

On one of my few daylight drives through the forest these days I noticed this week that the kohekohe (Dysoxylum spectabile) is flowering really well. I'm not aware it has any use to bees, although it does produce nectar and pollen, but it's good news. The leaves and flowers are heavily browsed by possums, and rats eat the seeds, so a good year shows the pest control is working well, which is good for everything else too.

Oh, and maybe we should drop the '2012' in the thread title?

• Like 2
  • Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, and maybe we should drop the '2012' in the thread title?

Was thinking along the same lines just then, maybe start a 2013 thread even...

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

Every sunny day, gumtree flowers buzzing with bees, john quill flowering, daffodil shoots out by 10mm. Got to get my supers ready. I am not worried that spring starts early in Wellington as long as there is enough snow on the mountain.

I thought rhodos were poisonous to bees...the nectar I mean

not to the bees AFAIK, but it does produce honey that is toxic to us.... or an aphrodisiac in small amounts.

I published a news story in the buzzsheet a year or so ago about a couple in .. Turkey, I think.. who were taking a small amount, maybe a teaspoon of rhodo honey for a couple of weeks in the hopes of sparking up their love life.

Didn't get the response they were hoping for, so after a couple of weeks they upped the dose and tried a tablespoon each - both ended up in hospital the same day, each having had a heart attack. Both survived, but I'm guessing that put the dampener on the romance for a while.

It was a recent story at the time too - not a hundred year old anecdote.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

We have a big 15 metre plus high tree here, but I don't know what it is. It is developing black leaf buds at the branch end initially, that are very sticky. The immediate area under the tree is alive with buzzing from above as the bees are working it

• Like 1

Even here in the deep south I see flowering currant and some crazy early stone fruit flowering this week. It looks like a month early. The last month has been so mild, infact we havn't had much winter at all.

I have been busy planting out my bee reserve these last 3 Sundays. It now has about 400 natives planted out and Im preparing some areas to plant out with Bee flowers. The hot house is over flowing with seed trays and cutting in tubs.

I'm keen as to see how this pans out. I will keep you posted on it as the season rolls along.

• Like 3

The weather is still mild and more trees flowering. Blossom trees and other ornamentals, barberry, just to name some.

The bees are flat out on the warmer days loaded up with pollen.

Isn't it great to see and hear all the talk in the media about planting for bees. Just about every week there is someone talking about it. Just a shame it didn't get going 20 years ago.

• Like 1

Bees going crazy today. First time in a couple of weeks they have been properly going for it. I saw 3 on one of my cattle molasses blocks, problem is they cant get off again. Too sticky. Not my bees though. One had a big dark varroa on it, and they are close to the commercial hives on farm. It seems after a bit of rain, 25mm overnight, they are far more active on the next fine day, so there is nectar and pollen around somewhere:)

• Like 1