New Zealand Bloom Dates for 2013

have a lot of unusual honey this year.

seems to come from the deep bush. very clear in color (like pohutukawa)and a pleasant floral flavor.

liquid, but not watery. doesn't seam to chrysalis in a hurry. rather odd for this area. main flow must have been around new year. haven't noticed anything unusual flowering. first guess was rata, but i don't think that's it, but might be.

any guess what it might be? how much is a pollen test?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

have a lot of unusual honey this year.

seems to come from the deep bush. very clear in color (like pohutukawa)and a pleasant floral flavor.

liquid, but not watery. doesn't seam to chrysalis in a hurry. rather odd for this area. main flow must have been around new year. haven't noticed anything unusual flowering. first guess was rata, but i don't think that's it, but might be.

any guess what it might be? how much is a pollen test?

I have the same, not much, but clear, maybe a slight green tint. 'Watery' looking but 17.5%-ish. Nothing normal flowered in the bush here, until kamahi came in, and this was picked up before then, mid December. Rata and tawari haven't flowered. I expect they went out to a clover source, alsike clover maybe, dunno. I don't have much faith in pollen tests though.

• Like 1
I have the same, not much, but clear, maybe a slight green tint. 'Watery' looking but 17.5%-ish. Nothing normal flowered in the bush here, until kamahi came in, and this was picked up before then, mid December. Rata and tawari haven't flowered. I expect they went out to a clover source, alsike clover maybe, dunno. I don't have much faith in pollen tests though.

rata has been flowering intensively here and is still doing it, though the flow has eased of rapidly, so probably not the source. have to admit i know very little - next to nothing - about the bush (and so did everybody i worked for, though they usually didn't think so).

how comes you have little faith in pollen tests. obviously with manuka there is a big problem, but most other nectar honeys should be straight forward, i would have thought?

how comes you have little faith in pollen tests. obviously with manuka there is a big problem, but most other nectar honeys should be straight forward, i would have thought?

People have been fooling pollen tests for years, and even when it isn't deliberate the 'interpretation' can be a bit hit and miss.

Here's some food for thought, from Peter Molan:

pollen&floralsource.pdf

• Like 2

privet both Chinese and English can give reasonable quantities of honey where is a common plant but it is not very pleasant honey. The gum trees flowering at the moment are Christmas gums or ficus folia (not sure on the spelling) in a few urban areas they can give a substantial honey crop, like most eucalyptus the honey is not startling but you could probably grow to like it. The trees come and lots of different colours from white through pinks crimson and red .the honey is darker and will string out for miles if run-off the end of a hive Tool . Pollen analysis is almost a total waste of time with manuka being a case in point. Although native bees collect pollen from this plant honey bees don't. There will be some manuka pollen in the honey but the predominant pollen in the hive will be Clover at least round here .honey should be sorted by colour, texture, flavour and aroma. Urban honeys tend to be multi-floral which isn't a bad name but you can also call it superb delight or even Parkwood honey. I remember when manuka was sold by one producer as CITRUS( apiarys) HONEY with a picture of orange blossom on the pack.

• Like 4
So do you think that the birds have increased in numbers despite the long use of 1080? I am not doubting you I am just interested in your thoughts.

There is no doubt whatsoever the increased bird population is BECAUSE of the 1080 drops. it gets not only possums but mustelids too. With the increase in food available any affected bird populations recover quickly often with several broods per season.

• Like 1

Much as I hate 1080 in our bush, when it was used up in the reserve behind us A) our trees did better because they weren't being munched and broken every night and B) we ended up with a lot more birds of all types. However, that was a mixed blessing because the kereru now wreck almost as many trees as the possums.

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...

I am always on the look out for nectar plants and today I found a new one to me. Eucrocrophia Cordafolia. Its a tree about 5 metres high and in full bloom now. It has a flower like a small Clematis about fifty cent coin size. This tree is white with flower and had every Bumble and Honey Bee in the district on it. I'm going back for some cuttings when its finished flowering.

PS it has a cousin - Eucrophia Nymansy.

Little Bo Peep has lost her sheep:cautious:

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
Honey bees and asps are working the Ivy flowers at the moment...the only good thing about Ivy is the late season food for the bees.

[ATTACH=full]3577[/ATTACH][ATTACH=full]3579[/ATTACH]

I have that on the fence outside the kitchen window and only ever noticed wasps on it. I will be paying more attention from now on.

He who laughs last is the sloest to click on.:P

Hey I have found another one. Leptospermum Amboinense. From Queensland and South East Asia. about 3 metre when mature it has an over grown munuka leaf about 30 mm long and 5-6 wide, the flower is just like mauka but a bit bigger and you can see the beeds of nectar on them.The seed pod about 8 mm across. Its been flowering in a garden neer my place since mid January and still has flowers on it today. I have about 60 cuttings in and a million seeds in seed trays so you can all buy some off me when they grow

Little boy blue come blow on your horn, the bees are on the clover all over the lawn.:rofl: