Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chris Valentine

Archive Photo of bees and thing in the philippines

Here a couple of photos of bees and other thing in the philippines june 2013

Beautiful bees. Beautiful kids too!

[quote name='Janice']Beautiful bees. [/quote] Apis dorsata. What I wouldn't give to have these on the porch! Wonderful.

[quote="Dave Black, post: 39276, member: 219"]Apis dorsata. What I wouldn't give to have these on the porch! Wonderful.[/quote] Is that to keep the monster in law away or do you like the bees?

[attachment=4478:name] Here are my worker hives that his brother inlaw looks after for him while he here in nz The hives are right next to a church and at morning mass the light are turn and the bee want to join and and some of the church goes get stung some times

Imagine what the local council would say about that here!

I had to deal with the council today about a rubbish fire and to much smoke

[quote="Dave Black, post: 39276, member: 219"]Apis dorsata. What I wouldn't give to have these on the porch! Wonderful.[/quote] I read that the black Phillipines ones are A. Breviligula, distinct from A. dorsata.

What is the fascination with A. dorsata?

They are big and very cool to watch in a group

Why are the hives on stands?

[quote name='Janice']I read that the black Phillipines ones are A. Breviligula, distinct from A. dorsata.[/quote] Your reading is quite up to date. The Philippines flavour is known as [I]A. dorsata breviligula[/I] Maa. A paper by Golag, Anderson and Olroyd in 2010 suggested it was a distinct species, and last year (2012) this was supported by a Chinese paper looking at cytochome oxidase in mitochondrial DNA to understand the relationship between SE Asian bees. “These results support the hypothesis that glaciations and deglaciations during the Pleistocene could have greatly influenced the distribution and divergence of [I]A. dorsata[/I] in China and Southeast Asia. In addition, the species status of [I]Apis dorsata breviligula[/I] Maa and [I]Apis dorsata binghami[/I] Cockerell were supported in our study…” So it may yet become [I]A. breviligula[/I].