Photo of bees and thing in the philippines

Chris Valentine

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[attachment=4478:name] Here are my worker hives that his brother inlaw looks after for him while he here in nz The hives are right next to a church and at morning mass the light are turn and the bee want to join and and some of the church goes get stung some times

[quote="Dave Black, post: 39276, member: 219"]Apis dorsata. What I wouldn't give to have these on the porch! Wonderful.[/quote] I read that the black Phillipines ones are A. Breviligula, distinct from A. dorsata.

[quote name='Janice']I read that the black Phillipines ones are A. Breviligula, distinct from A. dorsata.[/quote] Your reading is quite up to date. The Philippines flavour is known as [I]A. dorsata breviligula[/I] Maa. A paper by Golag, Anderson and Olroyd in 2010 suggested it was a distinct species, and last year (2012) this was supported by a Chinese paper looking at cytochome oxidase in mitochondrial DNA to understand the relationship between SE Asian bees. “These results support the hypothesis that glaciations and deglaciations during the Pleistocene could have greatly influenced the distribution and divergence of [I]A. dorsata[/I] in China and Southeast Asia. In addition, the species status of [I]Apis dorsata breviligula[/I] Maa and [I]Apis dorsata binghami[/I] Cockerell were supported in our study…” So it may yet become [I]A. breviligula[/I].

Archived