Dave Black

document: Recommended Reading for Beekeepers

Dave Black submitted a new resource:

Recommended Reading for Beekeepers - Books recommended for beekeepers.

Gleaned from my library, a list of recommended titles including author, title, a brief synopsis, and year/ country of origin. Books suitable for beginners, for experienced beekeepers, reference books, and books for lovers of hive products. Suggestions of items to add are welcome in the topic discussion or by PM.

Read more about this resource...

• Like 2

Thanks for your thoughtful list.

Seeley's Hive Wisdom book reinforces the need for scientific models to explain how things happen, as does "Honeybee Democracy" - both need hard work and a clear mind.

And I have enjoyed "The Joys of Beekeeping" by Richard Taylor (his day time job was as a Professor in Philosophy). It is delightful, thoughtful and leads to practical results.

• Like 1

thanks, but who will ask you dumb questions if we would read books?

• Like 1

Me ?

... I have enjoyed "The Joys of Beekeeping" by Richard Taylor (his day time job was as a Professor in Philosophy). It is delightful, thoughtful and leads to practical results.

Thank you, I will look out for that one. Richard Taylor died a few years back. He was an expert on comb honey with a black sense of humour. I imagine him having dinner with Richard Feynman, that would be my kind of party.

One of the gaps in the list (because I rarely read them) are what you might call 'books for pleasure'. Hattie Ellis with 'Sweetness and Light' is one I enjoyed; I look forward to reading Bill Turnbull's 'The Bad Beekeepers Club' which sounds humerous and good fun. Lesley Bill's book on Brother Adam; 'For the love of Bees', was an excellent portrait of the man seen at first hand. I'd also recommend Mark Winston's 'From Where I Sit' which ties bees, research, and politics together in a clear and visionary way. That's the thing with 'bees; it gives you an interest in everything.

• Like 1

One of the gaps in the list (because I rarely read them) are what you might call 'books for pleasure'. Hattie Ellis with 'Sweetness and Light' is one I enjoyed; I look forward to reading Bill Turnbull's 'The Bad Beekeepers Club' which sounds humerous and good fun. Lesley Bill's book on Brother Adam; 'For the love of Bees', was an excellent portrait of the man seen at first hand. I'd also recommend Mark Winston's 'From Where I Sit' which ties bees, research, and politics together in a clear and visionary way. That's the thing with 'bees; it gives you an interest in everything.

I just found 'The Bad Beekeepers Club' at the book depository for NZ$6.67, ordered and on its way :-)

bad beekeepers club is Fab! not many beekeeping tips, except for what not to do, but a great read

• Like 1