Essential oils

Has anyone had any experience using essential oils for varroa and other disease control? I see a few refferences in a few threads about them. I would prefer to use as few synthetic chemicals as possible in my hives while trying to keep my bees as healthy as possible

What do you use?

What do you use it for?

When do you use it?

How do you apply it?

Where do you get it?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried lemongrass to attract swarms but had no luck. Got a friend who only uses wintergreen against varroa and his girls are doing very well on it. I heard of stuff called Hive Clean which is a mixture of lots of essential oils sposed to change the smell of the bees so varroa doesn't recognise them. Anyone any experience?

Eb

I have planted thyme around the legs of my TB hive as the bees love the flowers plus it is one of those herbs along with lavender, rosemary, hyssop that have strong essential oils which the bees take back to the hive. I am going to try wintergreen this year, I would love to know where I can buy the plants, I have a feeling you can`t in NZ. I think it is great that beekeepers are starting to use healthier treatments for disease.

I am going to try wintergreen this year, I would love to know where I can buy the plants, I have a feeling you can`t in NZ.

Mixed results for wintergreen

Gaultheria fragrantissimum wall - not a lot found

but this variant seems to have a lot

Gaultheria procumbens teaberry: wintergreen, genus of 235 species of upright or prostrate evergreen shrubs, of the heath family (Ericaceae), occurring in North and South America, Asia, Malesia, Australia, and New Zealand.