Grant

When did you start beekeeping?

or at my day job creating computer graphics for films

Ah, so willI be seeing any of your work on the 12th, at midnight, then? :geek:

Ah, so willI be seeing any of your work on the 12th, at midnight, then? :geek:

If you're meaning a romantic movie about midget men with beards? Then, yep!

• Like 4

Not really my hives as I just watch dad and help find the queen but this is the first year so the big fat zero

Not really my hives as I just watch dad and help find the queen but this is the first year so the big fat zero

Welcome along Travis.

I am sure you will enjoy beekeeping.:P

Pbee came up with a great idea to collate everyone's beekeeping experience in terms of years. With 54 members already, I'm sure the total will mount up pretty quickly.

So, to kick things off, in which year did you start beekeeping?

I started this year, so lets kick the total off with a big fat ZERO :)

Three plus years and wish I could learn faster.

Ten years ago. Had a couple of hives. Was easy until verroa killed them, then lost interest. Mr 10 in picture has been fascinated by bees for a while. One thing led to another and we caught a swarm in November, now have 3 hives and will harvest first honey this weekend. Great hobby for parents/kids bonding too

• Like 2

:)
None yet , but being sting surely counts
Now you are used to being stung, time for the bees in the backyard............
  • Like 1

:) Now you are used to being stung, time for the bees in the backyard............

I had 5 hives in my tiny yard. For about 2 months or so, moved them out now, too many for my small section. Didn't get a single sting.

• Like 1

I have had my hive for a few hours less than a week. ( and gods do I feel out of my depth, still only way to go is upward)

• Like 4

Hi Julia, welcome to the strange and wonderful world of beekeeping, pop along to the Auckland Bee Club and you'll find many of the Mysteries have answers, actually most mysteries seem to have many answers, but it won't take long and you'll realise that the bees have their own answers to your questions ;)

• Like 1

Hi team, I'm going to call it year 1 also. Had 2 hives from Xmas 2010, both had the inexplicable misfortune of not lasting through to the next Xmas. Now, as I was thinking to get another hive, within the same week in January 2013, I get a) an email from someone with anaphylactic issues & am helping him with his hive, and b) had a random swarm swoop into an empty hive outside my bathroom. Who knows if it's fate or not, but we shall see if we can make this last through past winter this time...

Hi team, I'm going to call it year 1 also. Had 2 hives from Xmas 2010, both had the inexplicable misfortune of not lasting through to the next Xmas. Now, as I was thinking to get another hive, within the same week in January 2013, I get a) an email from someone with anaphylactic issues & am helping him with his hive, and b) had a random swarm swoop into an empty hive outside my bathroom. Who knows if it's fate or not, but we shall see if we can make this last through past winter this time...

What varroa treatment will you be using?

Good luck Paul

• Like 1

My second summer ... and I still go out every weekend morning and have my coffee with the bees.

Uli - Auckland

• Like 2

Welcome along Uli, my husband trimmed the trees so he can watch them fly while he's having his brekky...

• Like 1

I got my first hive in 1959, crickey thats 54 yrs! am I that old?

• Like 2

Thanks, never too old to learn though eh?

Absolutely, He who says they know everything on any subject is a fool.

• Like 2

Yes, welcome Alan, would love to hear some stories, we offer therapy for the brain and the fingers...

Thank you Ill come up with some stories....better sleep on it for now.:)

Hi,I started beekeeping in1977,with 1 hive in chch city.I lost all my hives to varroa in2011.I do not treat with any thing except 4.9mmfoundation which I make myself.So far this autum I have seen no varroa using sticky boards for 24 hrs ad sugar shakes. I went to Arizona last March and worked with Dee Lusby in the Arizona desert.Never treated her beehives in 60yrs.She is 65 yrs old running 600hives by herself with no help.Just a little about me.

:)

• Like 4

What sort of hives Roy ? How many ?