When did you start beekeeping?

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many hives for 700kg and what did you do with it?

I got about 40kg myself this year hopeing for a lot more next year.

Um they're my dads, he has 30 :) and we did some into drums to sell and HEAPS of jars to sell too! Honey was done in approved honey house and jarring was done in commercial kitchen coz the honey house isnt certed for jars just drums.

The red tape can be a bit intense lol

I got my first swarm when I was 14, that was 19 years ago ....

We have had our hive/s just over two years and I'm amazed how different the honey is from last year and also how two hives side by side this year have produced very different honey. :bee:

Um they're my dads, he has 30 :) and we did some into drums to sell and HEAPS of jars to sell too! Honey was done in approved honey house and jarring was done in commercial kitchen coz the honey house isnt certed for jars just drums.

The red tape can be a bit intense lol

Welcome along to our new members, its always interesting to hear your stories of how you started beekeeping and its a great way to start posting on the site.

• Like 1

This is my first full year. Started with to very small nucs Jan 2011. 1 had swarmed into a empty hive of my neighbours, the second was a split he did due to too many queen cells for 1 hive. Both he gave to me for free, but more importantly the endless advice and experiences he has passed on has been invalueable.

So 1.5 years for me

• Like 1
This is my first full year. Started with to very small nucs Jan 2011. 1 had swarmed into a empty hive of my neighbours, the second was a split he did due to too many queen cells for 1 hive. Both he gave to me for free, but more importantly the endless advice and experiences he has passed on has been invalueable.

So 1.5 years for me

Welcome Darryl, good to see you on the forum and thanks for the introduction (y)

Grandad had bees when I was a kid and I always thought it was neat. Got my first hive in December to help pollinate my young orchard, managed a split in Feb and now have two nice hives. Extracted only six frames for almost 10kg. Looking forward to a good crop of honey and fruit next summer!

• Like 3

Got our first hive last year Oct form Gary in Foxton. The queen was such a good layer that we struggled to keep up with adding more supers. So have a pretty strong hive now.

Ordered a queen form him in Jan/Feb and started a second hive. But we added too few worker bees - we were afraid we will through the queen in too-. They were holding out quite well and slowly but surely increased in size, then the wasps came in for the killing and destroyed the hive in two days. :cry:

Will try again this spring, but think we will buy a nuc again, not trusting myself to start-up a new hive again. They just live in the back yard. Very enjoyable to sit and watch them go by their busy lives on a sunny day. Ah Bliss...

• Like 1
A full five months now, and a seriously good feeling giving away the girl's produce to friends and rellies.

Grandad had bees when I was a kid and I always thought it was neat. Got my first hive in December to help pollinate my young orchard, managed a split in Feb and now have two nice hives.

Got my 1st hive when I was 12 ,so 30 years ago .

1st real beekeeping job when I was 17

I've only had my own hives to look after for around 3 years but my grew up with my parents being commercial beekeepers so I've been doing beekeeping work for at least 20 years.

Got our first hive last year Oct form Gary in Foxton. The queen was such a good layer that we struggled to keep up with adding more supers. So have a pretty strong hive now.

Welcome along everyone and thanks for sharing your stories. Has anyone added up the total number of years experience recently?

Ordered a queen form him in Jan/Feb and started a second hive. But we added too few worker bees - we were afraid we will through the queen in too-. They were holding out quite well and slowly but surely increased in size, then the wasps came in for the killing and destroyed the hive in two days. :cry:

Will try again this spring, but think we will buy a nuc again, not trusting myself to start-up a new hive again. They just live in the back yard. Very enjoyable to sit and watch them go by their busy lives on a sunny day. Ah Bliss...

I made my first split in February as well - it hasn't got past the single FD because of the lousy summer but has continued to gain in strength. I too was worried about transferring the queen - I used one of those queen boxes that open like a big hair clip to hold the queen so I was sure of where she went. I put my original queen in the split released straight away from the clip, and put a new purchased queen in the original hive. It worked well - I had the hives about a meter apart so had a few issues with drifting back but once I separated them a few more metres it was fine.

I'm sure you'll have better luck with a second hive at the start of spring.

Cheers

• Like 1
Am just looking to begin but rapidly becoming entranced,feel like I can do it but need to find someone willing to put me amongst them to see how I feel
I remember feeling strange when I realised I was trying to farm insects.
  • Like 1
Am just looking to begin but rapidly becoming entranced,feel like I can do it but need to find someone willing to put me amongst them to see how I feel

Hi iam in Renwick, this side of Blenheim if thats any help, do have spare gear if you want to try some day.

• 3 weeks later...

a couple of offers there fran, how did you get on?