When did you start beekeeping?

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me,

40 years or so with a BIG gap in the middle, or 5 years more recently. I've got about 20 hives overwintering at the moment here in the UK. Some will go in the Spring. Any colonies that are not as well-tempered as I want when the come out of winter will get combined with others and the queen squashed.

• Like 1

First year. Now got 5 hives on 3 apairies. Caught 2 swarms this year. going well. Removed a swarm from a wall and they decided they didn't like their new home so they left. I made 1 NUC to make the 5 and found the queen in that yesterday. 2 hives have 2 brood boxes full and 2 honey supers awaiting filling. My main interest is making and assembling the woodwork which keeps me busy when I am not at work or got my head inside a hive.

The best part of beekeeping is taking the wee granchildren down to the hives where they sit and watch the bees for hours on end.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been beekeeping about 22 years. Started off with two hives in the backyard, increased to 12 (easy before varroa), got the hard word from the family so moved all hives to a couple of semi-rural sites. I now have 8 hives on 3 sites including one bench hive back in the backyard. I've been a member of the local Wgton Club right from the beginning (invaluable from a learning and social perspective). I've been the Club Treasurer for the last few years and following the huge increase in new beekeepers and membership over recent years (50 to 220) have become the local rep for sales of hiveware and b/k equipment (my wife's car now sits permanently outside on the driveway !). I'm an AP2 and enjoy mentoring all the new beekeepers in the Club.

• Like 2

Hi, I am very new to Beekeeping. Started the Agribusiness course last year, finishing this year in April. First two hives are doing well, but not without small hiccups on the way. Great hobby, got my Dad into it-great Daughter/Father bonding thing..I am waiting for good weather to look inside and hopefully to collect some honey. Great Forum-I am glad I found you!

• Like 2

Hi John I live in Upper Hutt. I've never had anything to do with bees but have always been interested in perhaps keeping bees or being involved somehow as a hobby. I would love to have someone show me their bees and do a basic "introduction" if you like to keeping etc. Would you be ok with this? My email is rossg@reaa.govt.nz. If you are happy to do this I could call you to discuss if you give me a contact number.

kind regards

Ross Gouverneur

I've been beekeeping about 22 years. Started off with two hives in the backyard, increased to 12 (easy before varroa), got the hard word from the family so moved all hives to a couple of semi-rural sites. I now have 8 hives on 3 sites including one bench hive back in the backyard. I've been a member of the local Wgton Club right from the beginning (invaluable from a learning and social perspective). I've been the Club Treasurer for the last few years and following the huge increase in new beekeepers and membership over recent years (50 to 220) have become the local rep for sales of hiveware and b/k equipment (my wife's car now sits permanently outside on the driveway !). I'm an AP2 and enjoy mentoring all the new beekeepers in the Club.
Hi, I am very new to Beekeeping. Started the Agribusiness course last year, finishing this year in April. First two hives are doing well, but not without small hiccups on the way. Great hobby, got my Dad into it-great Daughter/Father bonding thing..I am waiting for good weather to look inside and hopefully to collect some honey. Great Forum-I am glad I found you!

Hey Maja,

Sounds like you are on the same track as I am. I started the Agribusiness course last year too.Welcome along to Ross and JohnB too and I'll look forward to seeing more from you all.

Wow! I feel better about our bees, knowing that there are people like you Behavn, looking after their interests.

I can relate tou your early experience with bees too! I don't remember myself, but my mother often told me of the time when about the same age as you, I chased (followed) a white butterfly through the boundary fence, and into the neighbour's field, where I found a few white boxes, with much more interesting buzzy things to examine! Well fifty three stings later... lol.

• Like 1

I have been in this hobby or rather this discipline for 3 years running though I did not really do things first hand and just relied on my brother who got here a lot earlier than me.

I would have my first hives this season and looking to keep up with that pace hence. I am really familiar with it already with the extended times and chance I have given for observation.

I have been in this hobby or rather this discipline for 3 years running though I did not really do things first hand and just relied on my brother who got here a lot earlier than me.

I would have my first hives this season and looking to keep up with that pace hence. I am really familiar with it already with the extended times and chance I have given for observation.

Welcome along and I hope you enjoy the site. Thanks for sharing your experience.

• Like 1