Grant

When did you start beekeeping?

Hi, Started in the wonderful world of beekeeping about 3 months ago.. Love it! love the bees! and love learning about such amazing little creatures, and have some great mentors about me. I can relate to what you have written Linda. Think everyone thinks i've already gone bananas!

Miriam :)

• Like 1

Welcome along to the forum, Miriam

Welcome along to the forum, Miriam

Thank so much Janice, It is good to be here and connect with others so passionate about the world of bee caring :)

• Like 2

Hi, Started in the wonderful world of beekeeping about 3 months ago.. Love it! love the bees! and love learning about such amazing little creatures, and have some great mentors about me. I can relate to what you have written Linda. Think everyone thinks i've already gone bananas!

Miriam :)

Gone mad. Yep thats the result of the bee stings. The more you get stung the madder you will bee.

• Like 2

Gone mad. Yep thats the result of the bee stings. The more you get stung the madder you will bee.

Love that !..LOL :)

Thank so much Janice, It is good to be here and connect with others so passionate about the world of bee caring :)

My friends the bees

I love to to eat some honey

I've loved it all my life.

I lick it off my fingers

And yes even off my knife.

Bees have just always been there

Doing what they do so well.

But now thanks to human kind

We are damming them straight to hell.

So if you care to keep them around

I know it's not too late.

Just change the way we farm our land

And leave the chemicals outside the gate.

Muz

• Like 2

@@Aquila Now that you have bees, fishing, hunting and white baiting are a thing of the past. The girls with sharp pointy butts take over everything and all time.

Dam straight Trevor. My hunting dog has to be contented with being a beekeeping support dog now and you know how much bees and dogs like each other.:devil:

I have plenty of time after work to check my hive here in Canterbury so frees up weekends for other things. When I do get on a frame making mission I'll make 30 or 40 at a time

This is our 4th year - just a hobby I keep telling my husband.... He enjoys making boxes and all the dipping , painting etc that goes along with it... He says the best thing is that Bees don't need shearing..

• Like 5

This is our 4th year - just a hobby I keep telling my husband.... He enjoys making boxes and all the dipping , painting etc that goes along with it... He says the best thing is that Bees don't need shearing..

Good job we don't have to milk em either :D

• Like 3

Pbee came up with a great idea to collate everyone's beekeeping experience in terms of years. With 54 members already, I'm sure the total will mount up pretty quickly.

So, to kick things off, in which year did you start beekeeping?

I started this year, so lets kick the total off with a big fat ZERO :)

I started 5 years ago for 3 yrs then moved from UK to NZ. Am ready to start again.

• Like 5

Welcome along Suzan

Me and my husband are beekeeping since 12 years. When we started beekeeping we were not sure, that we would be doing this for so long.

I see you have a blizzard warning for your part of the world :( do you winter your bees outside in the hives or do you bring the hives into a temperature controlled storage building? Oh and welcome along, it's always interesting to hear how other beeks do things in a different parts of the world.

My first Hive 5 yrs ago, but then had a break of 2 yrs when we moved, just started again so 3 points for me.

• Like 2

4th year here. I live in the southern US (Alabama to be more precise). Currently have 20 hives with hopes of expanding that to about 30 this year. I am lucky to live in an area with short winters and abundant plant life:) But always in envy of my New Zealander bee keeper friends as you all are a gracious and friendly folk and live in such wonderful and beautiful country:)

• Like 5

Two years ago, just after my wife said that she wanted to get bees and I said: "Over my dead body!".

But you are still alive,

• Like 1

Two years ago, just after my wife said that she wanted to get bees and I said: "Over my dead body!".

Somewhat similar in my situation. But she who must be obeyed said. "No. No. No. not in my backyard."

She now has a bee suit and I have 9 hives in the back yard

• Like 1

Somewhat similar in my situation. But she who must be obeyed said. "No. No. No. not in my backyard."

She now has a bee suit and I have 9 hives in the back yard

My wife could sympathise with your wife.

• Like 1

My wife could sympathise with your wife.

my partner could symphathise with them too. ;-) arent we all so lucky to have them!

my partner could symphathise with them too. ;) arent we all so lucky to have them!

Yeah Right!:D:D:D