When did you start beekeeping?

Pbee came up with a great idea to collate everyone's beekeeping experience in terms of years. With 54 members already, I'm sure the total will mount up pretty quickly.

So, to kick things off, in which year did you start beekeeping?

I started this year, so lets kick the total off with a big fat ZERO :)

• Like 2
  • Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have 3 years under my belly and I am now in year 4.

Thank you Grant for creating this new thread. Sure there are some 'old farts' around that have more than all of us together so far. And thank you for sharing ALL your wisdom!!!

Pbee :cool:

• Like 1

Started as a helping hand for my dad from the time I can remember as a boy. This was In Saudi Arabia. The bees were A.M. Yemenetica. Then Kept around 200 Hives of Apis Cerana and 50 hives of Mellifera(Italians) in India. Now I keep only a few hives here in hamilton. I am 26 now, so I would say about 20 years. Always loved it.

I am brand new to beekeeping. I got my first nuc at the beginning of autumn and hoped it would still be alive after the winter. It is and its fair humming along now! I'm completely besotted by the bees, out there constantly, just watching them. I'm sure the neighbours think I'm bonkers.

• Like 2

I have to agree Ben... Years ago, comming off night shift, I would find 20 or 30 mins in an old beach chair alongside the hives a perfect wind down and relaxing enough for a few hours sleep. Now of course, I can wander out and sit in an old folding chair any time I want!

• Like 3

Some very interesting stories, and interesting people!

For me, bees caught my interest when I found a wild hive in a tree, i was around 10. A kind old guy I used to talk to got me the book "Beekeeping in New Zealand", which luckily is one of the good ones, and I read it over and over. Already had built myself a beehive in the school woodwork shop, before I'd even seen inside a real hive :). For my 13th birthday I was able to get my parents to buy me a nuc. When I was 16 left home and got into beekeeping commercially which I did for 7 years, then changed job. Then seemed to always be involved with bees in some way such as part time AFB inspections for MAF, and now I'm retired, kinda, got a few hives, honey is too much work so I'm breeding and selling bees, as a hobby. There's so much interest in bees now and people wanting to get into it, that it's a great pleasure helping people get started, meeting many different kinds of folks, and selling bees and queens to existing beekeepers also.

• Like 3