Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Matt

Archive Boiling up some honey...

mmmmmm. On the stove for a good hour.[attachment=4082:name]

Why?

mead?

brochet

[quote name='Matt']Heh your gonna hafta guess :p[/quote] I know! - you're going to pour it over your head and go to a fancy dress party dressed as a Toffee Apple ! Is that it?

[quote name='Robbie']I know! - you're going to pour it over your head and go to a fancy dress party dressed as a Toffee Apple ! Is that it?[/quote] I don't like to think about the stick, in that case.

[quote name='tristan']brochet[/quote] Should have said "Tristan not allowed to tell" heh. Amazing how dark it goes. Real treacely, malty taste. Gonna keep this one real simple, no extra flavours in here. Took me 90 minutes to find the yeast, damn kids had stuck it behind the couch. Good cloud of bees outside the rangehood vent.

Next brew will be an IPA then keen to do a braggot with caramelized honey... This hobby gonna be as bad as the last one heh.

[quote name='Robbie']I know! - you're going to pour it over your head and go to a fancy dress party dressed as a Toffee Apple ! Is that it?[/quote] Got the big red face for it heh.

sounds good. never tried it myself so i will be interested to hear how it tastes. my weekend job is to do a mangrove jacks blonde dry larger kit but with clover honey.

[quote name='Matt']Should have said "Tristan not allowed to tell" heh. Amazing how dark it goes. Real treacely, malty taste. Gonna keep this one real simple, no extra flavours in here. Took me 90 minutes to find the yeast, damn kids had stuck it behind the couch. Good cloud of bees outside the rangehood vent.[/quote] Hmmm It took a bit of an effort to google what Brochet actually is! But now that I've found it, I'm getting thirsty and my Liver is getting nervous...

You gotta cook your honey down inside or you will be mobbed by bees. And you gotta have about your pot only ~1/3 full cos it foams up heaps, and you do NOT want a boil over! Am aiming for ~12% this time Tristan in the hope that it will age a bit quicker! So do you use a bit less malt in the brew kit and replace it with honey? I read somewhere last night that if you 'burn' your honey it works quite well in a beer brew...

[quote name='Matt'] So do you use a bit less malt in the brew kit and replace it with honey? [/quote] most home brew beer kits require the adding of 1kg of sugar (or equivalent of malt for an all malt brew) so its a case of simply swapping sugar for honey. such a small amount of honey won't change the flavor much but i've chosen the blonde which is fairly light in flavor anyway. so it will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Just asking. After reading Matt and Tristans posts I have to ask. Can I sell my burnt honey from the wax melter to home brewers.......does anyone know???? At the moment friends get it free for pig food

well i know the USA beeks sell melter honey as cooking honey but the guys i know here dump the foul tasting crap. knowing full well what crap goes into the wax bin i'm sure as hell don't want to eat it. mead, i've made some from free honey that was burnt (someone left the drum heater on!) and it was full of crap that settled out in the bottles (to much carbon/ash). was not very nice tasting either but it was my first go a mead.

[quote name='fieldbee']Just asking. After reading Matt and Tristans posts I have to ask. Can I sell my burnt honey from the wax melter to home brewers.......does anyone know???? At the moment friends get it free for pig food[/quote] Taking that 1 step further, can honey that is extracted in the garage or other non commercial/registered kitchen, be sold if it is not for consumption in the raw form but to be processed further by the purchaser i.e. home brewing or cooking?

Doubt it... Post processing wouldn't effect tutin levels, not entirely sure what else the law is supposed to protect the honey consumer from.... Poo hands?

Hahaha poo hands.... Hahaha did you mean faecal coliforms :p Yup, it's so you know they have basic knowledge of food hygiene and its not being processed somewhere disgusting and dirty. I've heard some pretty gnarly stories and seen some pretty rank stuff working in food, we really need that protection as consumers, even though its a pain in the bum at times.

[quote name='Hobbler']Taking that 1 step further, can honey that is extracted in the garage or other non commercial/registered kitchen, be sold if it is not for consumption in the raw form but to be processed further by the purchaser i.e. home brewing or cooking?[/quote] your still selling food to be used as human food so all food regs still apply. you could sell it as animal feed tho.

Or for bathing in..... Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Or as a beauty product - I'm sure you sell honey as one of those face-goop things that girly-girls do...

I have sold honey to a beauty parlour in the pass, didn't ask how they used it.

On their toast for lunch