Beehives for Manuka and Kanuka trees?

Hi guys,

I hope you're all well. I'm still new to beekeeping but I thought I'd ask a question.

I was just curious to know how many beehives would be sufficient per fully grown Manuka and Kanuka tree? Or should I be looking at a per acre of Manuka and Kanuka measurement?

Any assistance that you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Tony

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Manuka and Kanuka are NZ native 'scrub', so you would have to be dedicated to try and count the count the plant density per acre, as it is usually in naturally occurring wild areas, and quite thick. Plants can be grown from seed or bought from nurseries for inclusion in native plantings, but it is not usual around our area anyway, to plant it solely for honey production. Beekeepers usually have apiaries in or near wild native bush to get these honeys. I think you would be more likely counting the number of hives per hundreds of acres, rather than per acre

• Like 2

Hi tony our universities over here have a number of studies under way in regard to manuka, Massey uni in palmerston north is running trials on plants to see and find out if they can gauge the umf value of the plant, along side this study, they are advocating planting for honey production, As I understand a person on marginal land in the taranaki proviance connected with this project has manuka planted as part of a forestry plantation rotation, massey also has a number of thesis available to look at online about different studies done on manuka plants/ or relating to their habitats. There have been several similar thesis done through Waikato uni, if you google these two university sites with manuka and honey as key words you should hit your target. Tea tree is also farmed in australia for the oil, it is a different subspecies as I understand, but may give you some stats on planting.

Tea tree/ Ti tree or however you like to spell is a name used for quite a few different plants. Australian Tea tree is not the same plant as we have here. Locally use the name Tea Tree to name the manuka we have growing on our peat swamps, and we call our local Kanuka, Kanuka. This varies from place to place in NZ, as Kanuka can also be called Tea tree, or Ti tree. And yes, you can boil the leaves to make tea to drink. Confused?:what:

• Like 1

Hi guys,

Thank you for the responses.

I have been looking at the university studies. I am looking at purchasing Manuka and Kanuka honey from NZ to import to the US and sell here. I am also looking at getting friends in NZ to go out with hives and try and collect honey for me to purchase and a few friends have even stated they might plant it for me on their land.

I'm not sure that it would be appropriate to plant either tree in Florida as it's far too tropical here. If I wanted to plant it, it would have to be in another state.